Daily fee increase
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Daily fee increase

I have charged £25 per day for some time now, I am about to warn parents that in April 2015 fees will increase.

Do you think £27 is a fair increase? I pay for all groups etc, parents provide all food

July 13
    Post Thanks / Like

How much does that work out to be a hour? That seems awfully low to me but then I'm in a city and have no idea of childcare costs in your area. How do your fees compare to other minders in your area? A £2 increase hardly seems worth it. Have you worked out how much that'll take your monthly/annual income up to?

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

most minders here charge between £25 and £30 a day, I would like to go up to £30 but this seemed quite an increase to me

Mar 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes have a look at what other childminders in your area charge. I charge £50 per day but then I am in a city

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    I have charged £25 per day for some time now, I am about to warn parents that in April 2015 fees will increase. Do you think £27 is a fair increase? I pay for all groups etc, parents provide all food
    I increased my fees from £35 per day to £37.50 in April this year. Nobody complained, however I think a £5 per day increase would be too much. I'd aim for a £2.50 increase next year and another increase the year after, if it was me

6. Likes ziggy liked this post
    sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoRo163 View Post
    I increased my fees from £35 per day to £37.50 in April this year. Nobody complained, however I think a £5 per day increase would be too much. I'd aim for a £2.50 increase next year and another increase the year after, if it was me
    After chatting to another self employed lady (not in childcare) i have made a decision. I shall continue to offer daily rate of £25 per day but that will start at 9am and end at 5pm. If child arrives before 9am i shall charge 3.50 per hour and same if they stay after 5pm. That way parents wont get a 10.5 hour day for less than 2.50 per hour and i wont be so grumpy lol

Nov2014
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hi,
    What you are charging seems incredibly low! Having read previous posts on here from Childminders in Ireland, this low level of charges seems to be the 'norm' for Ireland. However, I am wondering how you make a living with such low charges? I can't see the cost of living in Ireland being any cheaper than in England (apart from the cost of childcare!) or am I missing something??

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CSR2014 View Post
    Hi,
    What you are charging seems incredibly low! Having read previous posts on here from Childminders in Ireland, this low level of charges seems to be the 'norm' for Ireland. However, I am wondering how you make a living with such low charges? I can't see the cost of living in Ireland being any cheaper than in England (apart from the cost of childcare!) or am I missing something??
    I read this post last night and it made me realise how underpaid and under valued I am. Cost of living here is probably higher than in England.

So am going to continue to do 20hrs with family who are paying me £7 per hour for home caring but am looking at other options rather than minding from home. I will either increase fees and take the risk families will leave OR I am considering starting a cleaning/ironing service. I actually enjoy ironing lol.

Think maybe after 36 years in childcare it is time to do something else. I am a NNEB nursery nurse but have no desire to go back into nursery or school work

Nov2014
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I remain mystified about why the general feedback from Irish Childminders seems to be that they are paid significantly less than in England!! How can this be!! Sometimes I read on here that Childminders in the south of England are on a lot more than the north and I can kind of see why (I'm guessing that the cost of housing etc is a lot more in the south). However, I still can't see how Irish Childminders make a living!! Personally I could not financially manage on what you're being paid and believe me I don't live a designer lifestyle, I'm just talking about heat and light etc!! Oh well, I hope this gap closes in the near future!!!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CSR2014 View Post
    Hi,
    I remain mystified about why the general feedback from Irish Childminders seems to be that they are paid significantly less than in England!! How can this be!! Sometimes I read on here that Childminders in the south of England are on a lot more than the north and I can kind of see why (I'm guessing that the cost of housing etc is a lot more in the south). However, I still can't see how Irish Childminders make a living!! Personally I could not financially manage on what you're being paid and believe me I don't live a designer lifestyle, I'm just talking about heat and light etc!! Oh well, I hope this gap closes in the near future!!!
    I wish, im on the south coast and charge 3.50 ph all year round