Annoyed!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annoyed!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Annoyed!

Just want to vent really, I have a great relationship with a mindee and his parents but for some reason they hardly ever pay on time. Payment is due on Friday and I've explained that I shop Saturday mornings for mindees food and activity bits and bobs. Every Sat morning I check my account and money is never there and I have to remind them to send. It is very frustrating and not how I want to be spending my weekend. I'm confused as to why they just can't pay on time and I have to resort to a firm txt which yesterday explained that I will be charging a late fee this is after a warning last week. I then got a reply from mum that I need to txt dad in future! I am dreading tomorrow as I think it's going to be frosty, but all I'm asking is to be paid on time!

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I asked a consistent 'forgetter' to set a reminder on their phone each week, but still had to remind them at collection time on the friday to make payment.
    It's irritating beyond belief, so I sympathise greatly, but some people are so disorganised I wonder how they ever manage to get up and out fully dressed in a morning

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and I've just looked on childcare.co.uk to see they are looking for a childminder, what a kick in the teeth! I know they will really struggle tbh as demand is very high and most minders are full in this area. I didn't know it was a terrible thing wanting to be paid on time - FUMING!

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Is it an updated listing or their old one?

It could be that they've received a message and had to log in to view it

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it the same amount every week? If so when you speak to them tomorrow I would be insisting that they set up a standing order as it is becoming awkward having to remind them each week.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it was same amount. I feel really upset as I'm certain they are looking again and I absolutely adore LO and have really enjoyed having him and I know he loves it here! It is ridiculous to think they might leave just because I expect payment on time!

Post Thanks / Like

Kiddlywinks it's his old listing, he's never logged on whilst LO has been in my care

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I find when a membership upgrades to gold they make use of it by messaging parents. This generates an email to parent to let them know they have a new message, like we get. It's quite possible your parents have logged in for this reason, and not for any other. Try not to worry unnecessarily

Post Thanks / Like

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My Policy is very clear. You can be late 3 times and then I apply my £5 per day late payment fee and you have to pay me in cash. No Vouchers, no Bank Transfers, good old fashioned cash weekly in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

My late payment fee was on their contract I've just not added it before this occasion as I hoped after a couple of stern txts they wouldn't want to annoy me by paying late. I don't know why they are annoyed with me all I want is paying on time! It's angered me more as one of them is out of work at present and I gave them reduced hrs this month so it wasn't costing them so much!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When does the payment actually arrive? If it's Monday or Tuesday, it may be that mum thinks she's paying you on Friday but your bank's clearing system doesn't credit you until a day or 2 later. Like I think I've "paid" for my shopping on Saturday by debit card, but the shop isn't going to get the credit to their bank account for a few days.

I wouldn't panic about a client being active on childcare.co.uk . I don't expect the landlord at my local to get his knickers in a twist if he sees me in another pubs, so I don't get my own pink frillies in a ravel if I see my clients on a childcare website; or, indeed, using another CM for bits of work I cannot do. I think we tend to have one rule for CMs and another for parents on this. Would a CM cause an outrage if s/he was practically full but still looking on childcare.co.uk ? If so, then I'm obliged to plead "guilty as charged".

I try to avoid using text messages for anything important. Anything more significant than 11 year-olds telling one another they're on a bus really doesn't work well by text message. The fact they're popular with people who believe "text" is a verb just about says all one needs to know.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your sensible words of advice. I know parent doesn't send on time as when I ask she sends there and then and it arrives within minutes (faster payment system). I know that I shouldn't get my knickers in a twist about the website but unfortunately this is my nature, I'm well aware I need to toughen up in this job! Like a lot of fellow minders I adore the children and love the job but find the business side goes against my usual nature (natural people pleaser). Unfortunately I've been using my phone (texting) as I shield to avoid face to face confrontation. I will live and learn from this experience however it turns out.

14. Likes VeggieSausage, mum67 liked this post
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Make a change and do the following from now.
    1. No more texts about late fees
    2. Send out a newsletter to all parents that due to the late payment of some fees you will be adding on late payment fees per day that fees are overdue, and advise parents that care of children will be suspended until full fees are paid and cleared, change policies to reflect this.
    3. Put in writing to this family outlining what will happen next and include a copy of your policies - give and email to both parents.
    4. No fees no care....you are not a charity.
    5. Take control of your business and in a nice but professional way take charge......

good luck, I hate it when things like this happen....

16. Likes bunyip, mum67 liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with VS.

If implementing this involves any changes to your normal policy/practice on fees, then you should give a month's notice of the changes, as for any significant contractual variations.

If you already have a provision in the contract for 'late payment fees', then it might be worth doing a rough calculation of what you could have charged them already, and add a note that so far you have waived £##-amount. It looks a bit less sudden if you can say, "well, actually, I've written off the £## you should have paid me to date, but it keeps being late, so I'm implementing the contracted terms that you agreed from now on......"

I tend to think the "I've got a mortgage and bills to pay" case falls on deaf parental ears. They know that, and if they cared, they'd have paid. If you have to mention expenses, then put it in terms of buying the fresh food shopping, poo rolls, etc. for the mindees to eat/use next week. That might put things in perspective.

Again, the best deterrent is a strict policy of no fee = no care + no excuses. If parents know you will turn them away at the door, it tends to focus their minds somewhat.

18. Likes VeggieSausage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you I definitely do need to make sure everything is clear to all parents. So I will be making sure everything is written down and clear going forward. Great advice.

20. Likes VeggieSausage liked this post
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with BY lol and doesn't it make you feel better when you get back in charge!!! and from a a totally different post we don't now need a pair of hairy ones but we have all we need - if anyone hasn't read that post I advise you do.....lol

22. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for your help, I've made all the necessary amendments so there can be no confusion over where I stand! I am firmly back in control and it does feel good :-)

24. Likes mum67, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to let you guys know, since I have provided the clear information, the parent has logged into childcare.co.uk again. I'm not going to get into a pickle now as I want parents who agree with my policies and pay on time. If that is such an issue for them they can go! This is me taking back control :-)

26. Likes Kiddleywinks, AliceK, bunyip, hbcm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
    Just to let you guys know, since I have provided the clear information, the parent has logged into childcare.co.uk again. I'm not going to get into a pickle now as I want parents who agree with my policies and pay on time. If that is such an issue for them they can go! This is me taking back control :-)
    Good woman,, you don't need parents like that, lots of nice ones out there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast