childminders will soon be able to claim for their own children
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default childminders will soon be able to claim for their own children

My sister in law has just told me her neighbour has just been on a funding meeting and they were told an email is due out to let childminders know they will be entitled to claim for their own children on the funding criteria.
    Excellent news for those who have been enquiring recently.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh and she said you would most probably have to follow the EYFS and do all the other normal stuff for your own child as anyone else's. It will all be explained in detail with the email apparently.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum67 View Post
    Oh and she said you would most probably have to follow the EYFS and do all the other normal stuff for your own child as anyone else's. It will all be explained in detail with the email apparently.
    Gosh that would be a complete turn around as some people have said that they aren't even allowed to do funding for relatives eg: grandchildren, nieces, nephews etc.

Thank you for sharing and please keep us informed.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish they would make up their minds!

While it's good news for anyone with young children of their own, it'll be incredibly frustrating for those who have been stopped from claiming it these last few terms.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Hector's house the lady delivering the meeting said all childminders will get an email about it. It's definate for Manchester but she didn't know other areas or counties. But it's a start.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My sister in law has just told me her neighbour has just been on a funding meeting and they were told an email is due out to let childminders know they will be entitled to claim for their own children on the funding criteria.
    Excellent news for those who have been enquiring recently.
    Strange as most Las have stopped due to the wording in the children's act. But fingers crossed ☺
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread and also a turn around as just been stop in our LA this spring :-0 not hold my breath yet thou ...

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Strange as most Las have stopped due to the wording in the children's act. But fingers crossed ☺
    I'm a little confussed by your post FussyElmo, sorry what do you mean "have stopped due to the wording in the children's act"? Do you mean because they say 'deprived'?.

The funding meeting was for the EFF (2,3&4 yr olds) I hope I haven't confused people and there is something else about funding.

If La's are stopping the EFF why are they putting people up for registration on it or is it certain areas? or are they just withdrawing childminders so the only option is nursery settings and therefore pushing us out?

Sorry but it has confused me now especially as tori4 is saying the same as you.

They were told about it because one of the childminders on the meeting as a lo of her own and wanted to know if she could claim for them from the EFF and that's how the conversation came about. Hope this explains my post better to people.

Sorry editing because I meant to say disadvantaged not deprived.
    Last edited by mum67; 25-09-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little confussed by your post FussyElmo, sorry what do you mean "have stopped due to the wording in the children's act"? Do you mean because they say 'deprived'?.

The funding meeting was for the EFF (2,3&4 yr olds) I hope I haven't confused people and there is something else about funding.

If La's are stopping the EFF why are they putting people up for registration on it or is it certain areas? or are they just withdrawing childminders so the only option is nursery settings and therefore pushing us out?

Sorry but it has confused me now especially as tori4 is saying the same as you.

They were told about it because one of the childminders on the meeting as a lo of her own and wanted to know if she could claim for them from the EFF and that's how the conversation came about. Hope this explains my post better to people.

Sorry editing because I meant to say disadvantaged not deprived.
    Until fairly recently childminders could claim NEF (EFF...lots of names for it!) for their own children, or for grandchildren.

But the Children's Act says that funding can only be used for children in childcare (or something like that) and that by definition, children looked after by their own parents or grandparents are not classed as being in childcare. Therefore a childminder couldn't claim NEF for them. A lot of LAs stopped parents and grandparents claiming for their children and grand children.

If it's being changed again, it's a massive turn around.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Until fairly recently childminders could claim NEF (EFF...lots of names for it!) for their own children, or for grandchildren.

But the Children's Act says that funding can only be used for children in childcare (or something like that) and that by definition, children looked after by their own parents or grandparents are not classed as being in childcare. Therefore a childminder couldn't claim NEF for them. A lot of LAs stopped parents and grandparents claiming for their children and grand children.

If it's being changed again, it's a massive turn around.
    Thanks mouse
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

12. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah right, I see what you mean now. Thanks everyone for the replies. I have read the link Mouse and it's all a lot clearer now. I'm wondering if there isn't much of a take up on the funding and they have thought of reversing it to encourage more offers of places from childminders. IYSWIM

Thanks again

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting.
    I can't understand why you can claim childcare tax credits when a child is cared for a relative (but also a registered childminder) but can't claim nef with the same provider

Simona Guest

Mum67...this is the Sept 2014 guidance on funding
    Page 26 states that cms cannot claim for their own children
    If the DfE has changed its mind I am sure they will republish this

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...dance_2014.pdf

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Simona

I have read through the link. Silly that just because you are related to a child you cannot claim the funding for them. Where's the equality in that? This seems discriminative to me. If a childminder is following the EYFS an Ofsted and Funding guidelines exactly how they should be then they should be allowed to claim for a related child.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Simona

Just to clarify when I enquired if the funding would be available to me for a grand child I was told no but they are looking into this and an email will go out if and when the changes occur.
    So there must be some truth in what was said at the meeting this woman went to don't you think?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Simona

Just to clarify when I enquired if the funding would be available to me for a grand child I was told no but they are looking into this and an email will go out if and when the changes occur.
    So there must be some truth in what was said at the meeting this woman went to don't you think?
    Local authorities can chose to pay the funding for relatives of the childminder, but it has to come from other funds. Perhaps your LA has enough spare cash to pay it?

19. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Simona Guest

Simona

The only thing I can suggest is show your LA the DfE Guidance and ask them where is their info coming from...if not satisfied call DfE and ask them directly

I have heard about alternative funding can be found as Mouse says...so ask your LA about that too
    My view is to seek clarification if any LA are doing things that are confusing

Good luck and keep us posted on their reply

21. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Mouse and Simona I had read that in the guidance but as it wasn't referred to in the response from my LA regarding my enquiry I didn't think they would offer any other source of funding but I shall now pursue it and see what they say and as you say Simona refer to the guidance notes when I make my enquiry.

Thank you both