Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Holiday pay

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Holiday pay

Quick question, I usually don't charge for my holiday and charge parents full charge so it evens out over the year.

I have a new parent about to sign who needs before and after school pickup for one child, and in the holidays 3 full days a week, then for younger sibling one full day a week increasing to 2 when he's settled (would be all 3 days but I'm full up on the 3rd day so she's keeping him in nursery that day).

She's asked that as she will have to pay for childcare elsewhere if I take holiday in term time, and then again when they go in the holidays that I consider letting them take whatever I have termtime in holidays, so if I take 2 weeks termtime they can have 2 weeks they don't pay in school holidays.

At first I thought ok sounds fair but thinking it through I'm losing out especially as I'll be losing the 3 full days pay during holidays if they take it off. Really I'm only likely to take 1 week off, max 2 in termtime so we can go away abroad and not pay as much.

I'd like this family to sign up with me as they'll fill an awkward couple of day spaces I didnt think id fill and kids and parents seem very nice, so if I can do something to make it seem like I'm doing them a favour I would, but not so much that I might take 2 weeks unpaid for my own holiday, then let them take 2 weeks off unpaid too!

Any suggestions? Considering suggesting half pay for all holidays? Or just for termtime ones I take and charge half for the same amount they take in school hols? I know some will say stick to what I charge and don't do favours but I don't want to lose them when ill be lucky to get another family needing the days they want that fit so well around the other kids I mind, especially as I'd be able to put the younger one onto 3 full days next year when one of my current mindees starts school.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Why not say if you are working you get paid and if you are not you don't.
    Debbie

Post Thanks / Like

If you dont charge for your holiday then she isnt paying twice for the care. I too charge for parents holidays but not my own, as while im away the care isnt available and while they are away the care is. I would stick to your guns and charge full for theirs and none for yours. X

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

What I do is if im not working I don't charge. I do two weeks for my hols no charge and give them 2week for there hols no charge and then if they take any more I charge half of what they normally pay all of this is explained when they sign contact x

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you don't charge for your hols then whist you are away and she has to pay someone else to look after her children she is ONLY paying them and not you. I don't see the problem??? I charge if I am open but if I'm closed for whatever reason I don't charge. Keeps it simple.

xxxx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I think what she was saying was she'd have to pay someone else to look after the kids when I'm on holiday in term time then pay again when they go away in holidays...

I see where she's coming from, but also they're both at nursery now so she's paying when they go on holiday anyway!

Might suggest the half pay to her for her holiday only if I take term time holiday, as that'd be better than nothing, and all other holiday I charge if I'm open. Just complicated things. Wanted to think it through properly and get opinions of how others do things before agreeing to something I'm not happy with doing and being stuck with it!

Sept 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've gotta be honest, I don't see where she's coming from! As others have already said, she'll only be paying for 1 lot of childcare if you take holiday so you taking holiday doesn't impact them financially. AND to my mind, charging for their holiday is done in order to hold the space open for them and keep your business afloat...does she genuinely think you can sustain a contract where you lose income pretty much every time either party is on holiday?! I don't mean this to sound harsh but the two events are not related to each other and I think she's trying it on!

8. Likes AliceK, Koala liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally think you are making a big mistake and setting a precident for yourself which you won't like when she takes holidays and you are unpaid

Put your business head on and think "do you want to hold a space for nothing when you are working and the parents are on holiday?"

If you lose the children then so be it. Don't under value yourself.
    Debbie

10. Likes AliceK liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the honest opinions, ok I'm going to suggest leaving it as is, not charging my holiday and charging full for theirs.

Realistically it'll only be for 1 week per year in term time which since it'll only be school pickup and 1 day childcare (where nursery will probably do an extra day) I'm not inconveniencing them that much, but potentially I could be facing lots of unpaid weeks otherwise.

Going to stick to my guns and hope for the best, really would love to work with this family, wish people wouldn't try it on so much, they wouldn't of asked the nursery I'm sure!

12. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

That's sounds like an incredibly good deal for parent and you put of pocket big time, wait til granny has them the odd week in the holidays and a friend and uncle so and so.......