Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Term time only contracts

What do people charge for their schoolies on term time only contracts? Before and after school prices, and do you charge half rate in the holidays?

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I Just charge during term time, don't expect them in hols 3-6 so don't bother charging, charge my usual £5 per hour if I have them during holidays but all depends if I have space with my little ones

Post Thanks / Like

I also don't charge as I want to be able to use their space for anyone just wanting holiday care. I'd rather get paid a full day than half of what they pay after school to retain their place.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you charge TTO for school holidays (normally half the usual fees) you would really have to keep the space available 'just in case' parent decided they wanted care on odd days in the holidays - they would top up any fees due on those days.
    This of course would then restrict you from taking on a holiday only child, but if it works for you, and your parent, then that's fine.

B&A school charges is up to you, I charge flat rate for wraparound care incl breakfast, snack and evening meal, for a total of upto 4 hours (1 hour before, 3 hours after)
    It is a slightly higher rate than my normal fees, due to the additional expenses involved with an older child - they eat me out of house and home, always dive straight to the craft stuff and use far more than needed ;-) (I do sometimes wonder if they are allowed to do crafty stuff at home), but again, check your local area for an idea of the general rates being charged.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As a guide price, I charge -

£10 for before or after school: including the first 2 hours care and the appropriate meal/snack if they're here at that time.
    £15 for before and after school: including the first 3 hours care and the appropriate meals/snacks if they're here at that time.

I don't expect them to book in the holidays, and don't charge for the holidays if they aren't using the place. They're welcome to try for ad hoc holiday bookings if needed, on the usual fees and terms.

I offer some reductions if they want before & after school all week, and/or guaranteed school holiday bookings. I have never had many schoolies, and none on this basis at present.

I do not offer TTO clients my usual 'unpaid absence deal for their holidays'. Had a couple of parents whining about having to take hols in term time to save on the cost of the holiday, then having to pay me when they're away. I can understand this, but TTO clients already have 13 weeks in which to go away and don't pay me. They could all find a cheaper holiday in the first place, and it's their choice to fly halfway round the planet 3 times a year.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
    What do people charge for their schoolies on term time only contracts? Before and after school prices, and do you charge half rate in the holidays?
    In this area too Cms vary in what they do...we are all different

If you are keeping the space open for your Term Time only children then you could charge a 1/2 retainer
    This means the parents do not have to reapply for the space because the retainer guarantees that space when they are back in September...
    unless it is necessary there would be no need to redo a contract if the conditions, hours are the same...just a quick review will do

If the parents want to book you for the holidays then they have to discuss this with you and agree this possible arrangement which they should have mentioned at the start of care and before signing the contract...'TT only but with possible need for holiday cover'?.

Retainers for holidays are not the same as retainers for places that need to guarantee full time spaces...those usually apply to the under 5s who require 8-6pm

Any thoughts?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge 50% of the term time rate for before and after schoolies in the holidays to keep the place open but only up to when they turn 8, after that no cost. This is because they take up a space and are guaranteeing that it is there when they recommence term time.

Saying that I would never give notice if someone else came along wanting all year which I have known others to do - respect and reliability goes both ways. Sometimes parents don't feel the same way though and I have been left feeling used.
    Debbie

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your replies. I charge pretty much what everyone else does in my area but am interested to see what people charge around the country. I charge a slightly higher rate of £5 for 1 hour before school (inc breakfast) and min of 2 hours after school which is £8 plus meals and any other hours parents want. I also charge half rate retainer in the hols purely to keep their space open for the following term and state this in the contract. I took legal advice and how I word my contracts am I under no obligation to have the children in the hols but would if parents wanted. I also state holiday childcare needs to be pre-arranged with 4 weeks notice to guarantee a place. To be honest, I'm full with little ones and fortunately non of my schoolies need me in the hols which also suits me as I have my children. I did approach parents recently with a higher rate of £5 per hour making it a minimum of £10 after school and scrap the charges in the hols. Parents said they would rather pay as they were as they were happy which actually meant it is costing them more so I've left it as is. I also give my full timers (under 5's) 2 wks hols so they pay for 50 wks of the year but TTO's pay regardless then half in the hols.

Like you Chatterbox, I've never dropped a parent in it. I do know of some childminders that take any work on then when something better comes along they've dropped the person. My CM did this to me before I was childminding. Really annoying! I've been very fortunate so far that no one has ever been completely disrespectful. If someone is annoying and they've ended the contract it's been a blessing! Saying that, I've turned work away when I've had spaces if I've not been keen on the parents or kids!