does this price sound ok?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default does this price sound ok?

hi - I have an enquiry for 2 days a week. I charge 3.50 an hr which is the average price in this area but many cms seem to do a day rate of 30.00 a day (some don't) but I have just stuck to the 3.50 an hour. The 30 a day is usually from 7:30 - 5:30. My enquiry is from 8:30 - 6:30. I would usually prefer to finish at 6 but have agreed to this as its only 2 days a week. I have quoted 35.00 a day based on my 3.50 an hr price. Do you think this sounds reasonable? With only just starting out I don't want to be over pricing myself but at the same time im not sure that there would be many cms in the area willing to work until 6:30 - what are your thoughts?

thanks

Registered Childminder since
    Apr,14
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds reasonable to me - like you say, most cms would finish by 6pm, and their day rates may only apply for full timers? Thats how they usually work in my area.

3. Likes blue bear liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it more than reasonable.

Tbh, it doesn't matter what I think: it's what the client thinks that matters - and what you think, inasmuch that you don't want to end up having regrets if you start to think you've undersold* yourself.

*At least, no more than any sane person would for charging 1/2 the price of a 16yo evening babysitter and a 1/3 of a dog-walker. But that's normal for a trained, registered, regulated, insured, experienced CM taking absolute responsibility for the most precious thing in a parent's life.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds reasonable to me. I don't do daily rates and parents have never questioned it. If you think about you would be losing £10 per week by offering a daily rate - £480 over 48 weeks.

Also many minders are not willing to work after 6pm (only 2 out of 14 in this area).
    Last edited by tulip0803; 11-05-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I myself charge £30 per day but I finish at 6pm if I were to work till 6:30 I would charge £35 (£5 per hr unsociable hrs). So yes I think you are spot on in comparison to other minders in your area.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever you decide upon, it's still worth indicating your normal hourly rate on the invoice. It will make sure your rates are clear if the child ever draws 3-4yo funding in future.

There's already some evidence (and a current eg on a forum thread IIRC) of a parent trying to dictate what their CM can charge on the basis of:
    (daily rate x 5 days) - (Anyshire's hourly funding rate x 15 hours) = £(not very much at all)

Even if the child is a long way from funding-age and you're not yet offering funded places, this is worth doing now, in case it becomes important in future,

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds very reasonable to me