Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 9pm to 1am..4 hours..what would u charge

hi all,
    I have a parent who wants to do 9pm to 1am in the morning.
    what would you charge. a lot of inconvinience..

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As a one-off, and for current families, I would do this and charge double my usual hourly rate. But if it was for other than a one-off, I'd only agree to an overnight. A 1 AM pick up would be hugely inconvenient for the child, me, my family and my neighbours. But if you need the money then I'd say double time.

3. Likes Koala, Maza liked this post
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sing-low View Post
    As a one-off, and for current families, I would do this and charge double my usual hourly rate. But if it was for other than a one-off, I'd only agree to an overnight. A 1 AM pick up would be hugely inconvenient for the child, me, my family and my neighbours. But if you need the money then I'd say double time.
    That's a GOOD DEAL - I wouldn't even consider it - 1am pick up?? definately agree with the inconvenience FOR EVERYONE as sing low says.

Don't sell yourself short

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest why would anyone want to wake their child at 1am is it just me or does anyone else think this very unfair on the child and cm
    Tess1981

6. Likes Koala liked this post
    Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

No way would I do this unless babysitting at their house. Not fair on anyone

Post Thanks / Like

she wants it mon to thursday

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like she needs a baby sitter, but I guess she needs someone registered for peace of mind and in case she wants to claim help with childcare costs.

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christine84 View Post
    WHAT??????? DO YOU NOT NEED SLEEP OR A LIFE. . Sorry rant over
    Tess1981

12. Likes caz3007 liked this post
    Sept 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There is absolutely no way on earth I would do this! I'd be interested to know the circumstances as I can't fathom in what situation a parent would want/need those hours and how they would possible think it could work 4 nights on the trot! Or am I missing something?!

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think you have to think of the welfare of the child. If ofsted got wind of this they would not be impressed.

A child should definitely not have their sleep broken 4 nights in a row ....let alone you and your family!

Overnight or not at all or you go to their house ..then your family won't be disturbed and the child gets a full night in its own bed .....if you need the client.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christine84 View Post

OMG

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My mum worked those hours when I was a child. She worked in a local pub. Nothing dodgy. We had older siblings who looked after us. Shame, she must be finding it a huge struggle to get childcare for those hours. I also know someone who works similar hours in a restaurant - what are these parents to do for childcare if they don't have family to help out?

17. Likes Mouse, cupcake22 liked this post
    Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    My mum worked those hours when I was a child. She worked in a local pub. Nothing dodgy. We had older siblings who looked after us. Shame, she must be finding it a huge struggle to get childcare for those hours. I also know someone who works similar hours in a restaurant - what are these parents to do for childcare if they don't have family to help out?
    It's a tough one but a babysitter would be better or overnight care. Not something I would entertain as after a full day working I am in bed at 10, if not asleep on the sofa

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Until recently I looked after 2 brothers from 5-11.30 pm for their Mum who was a nurse. Only did it once a week but started at 8.15am with my other mindees and it absolutely shattered me when it was their night !
    Couldn't even contemplate doing it 4 nights a week until 1am !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It may be some kind of hospitality work, or healthcare?

Either way I'm not sure I would do this- i work around 10hrs during the day to evenings too...you are a brave woman if you are thinking about it! I would charge at least £10p/h! Good luck x

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I wouldn't be charging as I wouldn't agree to work those kind of hours,
    Not only does it disrupt your evening, it also does of your family, neighbours etc & also how are you suppose to function properly during the day for your normal families, as I assume you start around 7.30-8am? ( personally I wouldn't be able to function)
    If your set to do this I would be asking triple time, for the unsociable hours and huge inconvenience this might cause.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Get a different job.

It is commendable in this day and age for parents to work and be prepared to work whatever hours you can get to put food on the table and I don't think this is an issue for anyone - I've done it - but I wouldn't condone disrupting a childs natural sleep patterns to fit in with this. Surely when children are involved parents have to re asses their work life balance and children come first and foremost.
    And imo disrupted deep sleep 4 days a week is wrong. To wake a child at 1am to go out into the night to go home - would this work for anyone?

Maybe a full overnight care package would be more acceptable? And a price to go with it, ask yourself : would you be up all night because lo has slept during the day to fit in with mums work pattern? So seriously consider what has already been said:- if you work during the day effectively you are working five days straight with only a 3 hour break per day! for sleep (because you cant guarantee a good nights sleep when doing overnight care) cleaning, planning, paperwork etc.... Oh my word - I'm exhausted just thinking about it. Good luck

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with others. If you are going to do it I would only offer for the whole night for the sake of the child, yourself and your family. If the child at least sleeps all night you have a chance to too!
    I would never consider anything like that I close at 5.30 and now turn people away who want til 5.45 but that is me and I admire you for considering it.
    In regard to price I really have no idea what the going rate is for overnight care.
    Please think really hard before you make a final decision. Sometimes you find something like this isnt worth it and I cant help but feel so sorry for the child in this

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. . I told mum I could consider trial.. for £20 for the 4 hours... such a good deal... she got back saying no cause I charge 45 to 50 for overnight at 12 hours ..so prob wanted 12 quid ... for 4 hours... im like no way..so she said no

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

The cheek ... let's see who takes the child on for £12
    Tess1981

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast