Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sibling discounts and Maternity leave retainer advice

Hello all I'm looking for some advice

My full-timer's Mum has announced she's expecting... at the moment she's intending on going back to work after 6/7mths maternity leave.

She's asked what sort of discount could I give for the two, I would have them 11 hrs a day 5 days a week... she joked BOGOF... first child would be 2 by then and the baby 6mths old so not exactly easy days for me... what rates do you charge ?

Also I was wondering what would be a fair charge for saving the first child's space whilst she's on maternity leave ? as its not going to be easy to full this spot for just a short period and she also mentioned about first child coming 1 or twice a week still.

I charge £4 per hour for full time, £4.50 for part time with a minimum of 4hrs a day.

Any advice would be great thank you xx
    Nothing succeeds like a toothless budgie

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

With regards a discount you don't have to offer one. Don't let a parent pressure u into this. They are two spaces they are taking up and long days 5 days a week take full fee for them both as for retainer it's normally half fee.
    Tell parent this retainer will also save a space for other child. Maybe say at no extra charge if u r happy with this and that's there money saving deal. .. no retainer for new babies space iyswim
    Tess1981

mar 97
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If it makes you feel any better, I have NEVER given a discount for siblings in 17 years of childminding (including twins). The children take up a place which has to be paid for and it makes no difference to me if they are 3 siblings or 3 children from different families. I have always been very lucky and had plenty of work but just know that I would feel undervalued and unhappy if I had to offer cut prices!

That works for me. I do know lots of childminders that are very happy to offer discounts, including close friends who are childminders, so it really is a case of choosing for yourself. Your decision though, not mums !

nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

i also dont offer sibling discount, but its up to you at the end of the day, if the child comes while mum is on maternity leave for a few days i would not take a retainer for the baby space but would take a deposit

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You already give her a 50p discount per hour as she is using full time hours so I'd just say your sibling discount is £1 an hour for every hour they attend together on a full rate making it exactly the same as what she is paying.

In terms if cost for holding spaces... I would charge full rate for the day(s) the child actually attends plus 50% for the days she wants to hold for the child. I'd explain that you cannot sign up an unborn child but if you have the space and she wants it then as soon as baby is born you can arrange for her to sign contracts for new baby and pay the registration fee and then 50% until they take up the place. I then usually say but I'm happy to pencil it all in and not charge anything extra but if someone enquiries and wants the space you will give her first refusal to pay the retainer or you will take on the new enquiry.

Simona Guest

Giving a discount is totally your choice
    Once the baby is born you will have to save the space until he/she can come to you...if the parent wanted to guarantee the space she would have to pay you a retainer so you keep the space for her.

I would also remind this parent that from next year both and her husband will benefit from the new tax free childcare of £2000...
    she can claim Tax credits and at the moment, she can apply for C/vouchers both for herself and her husband which means they can give you £243 each every month ...or £124 if they are high earners.....and the C/V save parents a lot of money on taxes and NI...that would be her savings

I know that we are supposed to be in a childcare 'market' but to joke about BOGOF is not appropriate when it comes to children...neither are bought and neither come for free!
    Entirely my view of course