Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Holiday care only

Have a parent wanting school holiday care only and I don't know what to say about term one if I should set a retainer or just look for a parent wanting teen time only? I can't see a parent paying for 52 weeks of the year when they only require 17.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If a parent wants holiday only care, that's probably all they want to pay for.

Don't forget, you don't have to offer it of it doesn't suit you. Your options are:

A) take them on for holiday time only and look for a term time only child to fill the rest of the space

B) tell them you don't do holiday only care, so they either go elsewhere or they pay for the full year.

C) tell them they are welcome to contact you before each holiday to see if you have any spaces

Is there much call for term time only in your area? I care for children of a couple of teachers, so for me a holiday only contract works well. I do prefer to do it the other way round though - get the TTO child first, then fill in with the holiday child

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

good advice above. my phobia of holiday only children was that they didn't 'get' my rules. I even had children I'd had since babies who left and went to school and I provided a few days care in the hols still. They were a real handful. It's not my favorite way of working but I know it works well for some.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Simona Guest

Some parents do want holiday care from a cm but it has never been practice to charge a retainer for when children are at school term time
    It depends what type of contract you do...if the parents want to use you in the holidays and commit to it...you could do a 'holiday contract' ONLY...that means you have the space and if they don't turn up you can still charge the fee

If you do 'ad hoc holiday' care then you get paid as and when they turn up...totally up to you
    I had both in place in the past and it worked very well
    Some cms love older children...I am one of them...others don't

The choice parents will have in future are holiday camps where the cost is much lower...or maybe schools or even day nurseries if they expand to holiday care....so I would say it is in our interest to stay competitive and not be driven out of the holiday care service.

For children who come term time only it is acceptable to charge a 1/2 retainer during the holidays to keep the space open...so lots of choices for you and the parents...good luck

Feb 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all you have been a big help. The parent is coming tomorrow so it will have a think what is best for me tonight. Leaning towards a holiday only contract that way I know where I stand.

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a parent who uses me holidays only.

I only offered it on an adhoc basis as I didn't want to loose business should a school age all year contract come along and also the parent wanting holiday only expected not to pay me if the child didn't come because they were using their annual leave from work. Also with school age children myself, school holidays is when I take my holiday too. Therefore I offer adhoc only as nobody is committed and it works for each.of us.

Post Thanks / Like

If you decide to take this on I would have some sort of booking system where parent says what care they require at least two weeks before the holiday (and pays for it) so that you don't get a situation where they suddenly don't need your service and don't expect to pay for it either.

Good luck, hope it works out for you

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chezzagriff View Post
    Thanks all you have been a big help. The parent is coming tomorrow so it will have a think what is best for me tonight. Leaning towards a holiday only contract that way I know where I stand.
    If you choose to do holiday care under contract please remember you are entitled to take a deposit as well to cover yourself...I used to have an amount that covered 4 weeks...refundable of course.

Also state clearly when you wish to be paid...1st of the month the holidays are due? and send an invoice as per normal...so for the Easter holidays you would invoice start of April

Good luck...hope it works for you