Your Holidays - To Charge or Not to Charge??
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Your Holidays - To Charge or Not to Charge??

Quote Originally Posted by button68 View Post
    Just Curious.

I don't charge for my holidays, as my way of thinking is if I'm not available to provide a service then I can't charge for it.

I was talking to a local CM who I've got 'friendly' with and she says I'm mistaken and "missing out" and that most CM's around here do charge. She kept saying everyone get paid for at least 4 weeks holidays these days i.e. her husband works in a bank, her daughter in an office etc... I argued but they are EMPLOYED we are SELF EMPLOYED!! A self employed carpet fitter won't get paid for his hols will he!
    Now I appreciate that there is no right or wrong here but was wondering what everyone else does.

This is exactly how I see it. We cannot have the best of both worlds ie be self employed but expect employed benefits.

I do however charge full fees for mindee hols/occasional days off - my setting is open and their place is booked, their choice to not use it.

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

SCMA say that parents are happier with a higher fee for when they are using the service and no fee when CM not available. I agree with this as I couldn't jutify charging for a service that was not available. 2 sets of my parents have to pay for alternative care when I am off as they have set holidays that don't match mine.
    Ali xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont charge when im off put charge for their holidays sick ...

veronicaxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If a child comes to me once a week, they pay me 2 days paid holiday per annum.

If they come to me three times a week, they pay me 6 days paid holiday per annum.

My parents are fine with this

I think people forget how many times we are *free*... I do not have parents who take advantage, but things do happen - traffic jams, feeling poorly etc. I have often worked longer hours than contracted for - in the am and the pm - I do not charge for this.

I also do not charge a retainer. It all evens out in the end.

Feb 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't charge for my hols, but charge full fee for parent hols. Only I just lost one of mine as the mum refused to pay for her hols even though I explained to her at the siging of the contract. Some people expect everything for nothing. I am trying to run a professional business here. So I have learnt to make sure in future that I make a point of making this crystal clear although I thought I had. Still never mind.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Debs, she is hardly being fair... so if she takes 6 weeks holiday a year, she expects to not give you any pay for 6 WEEKS???? but still keep her space? How does she reckon you'll pay your bills then? Some people are just so thoughtless. Probably best she is leaving... I hope you get someone more considerate filling that vacancy soon!
    Jen

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not charge if I am not working - i.e holiday, sick, or my kids are sick and I can't work But I do charge the parents for every contracted day no matter what if I am available to work

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12