Funded places and charging extras
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Funded places and charging extras

Just a quick question regarding funded places.
    I have started to offer these from September for a 3 year old and have a 18 month old in emergency care via her care worker.
    At the moment I have to collect the 18 month old as her parents don't drive, I am the closest childminder to them but its a 8 mile round trip for me, I charge £2.50 (to social services) for this on top of her hourly rate paid to me via social services.

Yesterday my CSSO told me IF the child's parents want her to start again when she is a funded 2 year old I cannot charge for picking her up, as it has to be a free place.(I thought I could charge the parents this if they wanted to use me)
    Currently I have a child split care with nursery and I charge for collection (again a 6 mile round trip) I also charge for lunch if its not provided, some choose to bring it, some prefer i do it, I'm not bothered either way.
    My CSSO said for funded children no extras can be charged full stop! surely this is not right?
    Has anyone any experience of this?

This is what the handbook says:

A1.9 Ensure that if providers charge for any goods or services, for example meals,
    optional extras or additional hours of provision outside of the place, this is not a condition
    of children accessing their place.

I take that to say 'I am offering a service, its up to you if you take me up on it, but if you want it its to pay for' ie collection/drop off and / or lunch
    Last edited by clairelou; 22-11-2013 at 02:08 PM.
    Owners of a lovely 2 bedroom holiday cottage www.thecottagegillamoor.co.uk

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

you are right - parents are not forced to pay for lunch - they can choose to pay for it or provide their own - no obligation and they can take the place either way

As for the charge for collection - again - this is an additional service you offer - if they don't want the service then they need to drop the child to you or make other arrangements (which lets face it if they don't drive would mean paying for a taxi most likely) Again the choice is the parents - they are accessing the funded childcare - services you provide on top of this are charged at an appropriate rate and are optional extras to the parents - not a requirement of taking the place.

That's how I understand it anyway!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

beware about charging for collecting if you are using a car. This would class you as a taxi service and all of your insurances and things go up, as far as im aware. You might want to look into it a little. You can charge for the time but not the travel? Im sure thats right and if not someone will be along soon to let us both know x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is the same as yours, that the funded hours have to be offered completely free to parents, but you can offer other services on top. Parents must be given the choice of using these services or not.

I have funded 3 year olds. Their funded hours are free, but I explain to parents that that is all that is free. Lunch is not included in the amount I receive, so they can either pay extra for that, or provide a packed lunch.

I don't see any difference with charging for a pick up and/or drop off service. That is not included in the amount you will get paid by the LA. Parents still have a choice. They can either pay for your collection & drop off service, or they can get the child to you themselves.

One problem I would see is that if you charge for picking up & dropping off a child there has been talk that you would be classed as a taxi service & would have to comply with a whole different set of rules. I don't drive, so it has never been an issue for me, but it's maybe something to check out.

Another problem is that if your CSSO is so adamant that you cannot charge it, you may have trouble talking them round.