Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default College funded place

Hi, have an enquiry for one day a week care to "be paid direct by college". I've never experienced this before so can anyone shed light on what, how I get paid and would you charge a premium for a short term (9 weeks) placement.

Thanks for any info!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

IIWY, I'd get hold of the college's funding forms and maybe have a word with the finance dept. I'd certainly get your legal team (at your insurer or professional representative body) to look at the whole thing and advise you. At the very least, you need to be able to write the contract in a water-tight way which means the cost falls back onto the parent if (when?) the college finance lets you down.

I'm sure a lot of CMs will have had good experiences of college funding. But I know too many who've been let down and lost out very badly.

My own personal experience isn't good. I looked into it when approached by a prospective client, and was warned off by a local CM who ending up working for free cos the college found excuses to pay her for a mere fraction of the hours she actually worked. I happened to mention this to an ad hoc client of mine who works in admin/finance at the local university hospital and she told me never to touch uni-funded people with a bargepole. She said that, if I was lucky, I might get paid - in part and late.

3. Likes Koala, rickysmiths liked this post
    oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the reply - you have confirmed my reservations about the whole thing. I think I will give it a miss, too much trouble for a few hours a week.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I too would not touch this with a barge pole.

Payment up front, no pay no daycare, simple. 'once bitten twice shy'

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had to give notice to a college parent as the college either didn't pay or only paid some fees!!

feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I must be very lucky-I've had a few college student parents over the past few years, have one at the moment, and have never had a problem being paid. One year I had to wait a few weeks as a form had been mislaid but payment was very quick once it was sorted and all backdated. The lady who sorts the finance is very approachable and friendly and is really helpful. I had to phone her a few years ago about a parent who didn't turn up for a few weeks with the child and couldn't be contacted so I phoned to let the college know she was no longer using the place and she offered to pay my full notice period plus the previous four weeks of non-attendance!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Collage funded place

Hi there I just recently registered as a childminder and had a child for before and afterschool. The child's parent is at collage and is to get childcare funding from the collage. There has been a delay in me getting my payment due to them being back logged in paperwork. I had to ask the parent to pay me as I can't run my business without money. I have learned from my mistake thinking that it wouldn't take long to go through. It has been a big hassle but eventually got payment last week. I would advice if taking on children with collage funding that they don't start till they paperwork has been sorted.

Feb 97
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I must be lucky, I have 2 little girls 2 days a week while mum is at collage, collage pay a month in advance and if there is any extra mum will pay. She's planning on carrying the course on in sept for another 2 years so hopefully that will go smoothly too.

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Payments were always late, but I did get the money eventually.