Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    june 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good dec11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Increase days...no room

I, iv got. 2 sisters in my car 1 has just started nursery, I collect at 11:30. The other is 18mnths. In June they asked me if I could have them for extr hours currently 8-3, to 5:30 2 days out of the 5. I said at the time I have the space and they would need to let me know ASAP. Now sep, I ask when they want the full days, they say what days do you prefer so I told the I can possibly do wed and fri, now that iv looked at my rota I can't actually fit them in, no room in car and it's about a 20 min walk there and back to school. It isn't a bad walk however i would have to walk - (or buggy board on a double pram) a 2.5yo. This is do able but what if it was pouring down, the boy would get soaked, as well as all other after schoolies, I feel mean that iv said I will have space and I actually don't, what do I say to parents?
    Say I can do it however we would walk there n back regardless of weather, or say I can't offer the extra hours. I never took a retainer as didn't think I'd be waiting this long,

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd do the walk if I wanted to but it's up to you. I would be making it very clear to parents that all children need wellies and waterproof coats every day first though!

3. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

we walk everyday ( 15-20 mins each way depending on the children! ) and I say every child has to have wellies & waterproofs.

sometimes we do go in the car, but not often. if its raining I prefer to walk as getting everyone in & out of the car/buggy etc means everyone and everything including buggy & inside of car gets wet! walking is easier! ( I ask all schoolies to keep spare socks at least ( if not change of clothes! ) at mine, so they can change if soaked! )

depending upon the development of the child I start walking 'my' LOs around 2 ... we walk to the park, into town ( about 5/10mins ) and around. then I start walking them one of the journeys to/from school, and longer walks out & about. generally by 2 1/2 all of mine can walk the school run easily.

all schoolies have to carry their own bags etc to & from school. I MIGHT help sometimes, or with something awkward, but if I am holding LOs hands, then I can't so I don't!

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Where I used to live we walked to school whatever the weather. Parents knew we were walking so they came properly dressed. I used to walk to school 10 mins away then back past the house to a preschool another 10 mins in other direction so we would be out for at least 40 mins in the morning, 20 mins at lunch time and 30 mins for 2 school pickups in afternoon. I was a size 10 then - need to do more walking but no footpath on the main road!

6. Likes loocyloo, chriss liked this post
    june 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good dec11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I mite try it, can't be that bad I guess and yeah I guess il still get wet waiting in the playground, worth an extra £40 a week I suppose, thanks

8. Likes loocyloo, Goatgirl liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would perhaps tell parents you can do it until half term, but might not be able to after that.

It would give you chance to try it out while the weather is hopefully better, but if you feel it doesn't work for you you have already warned parents that you might not be able to continue with it.

10. Likes loocyloo, Goatgirl liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

For the first 8 years I was a childminder I didn't have a car. My own children's baby groups, toddler groups and school were all a mile away and we walked in all waethers and never though anything of it at all. You just have to dress for the weather.

12. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

In all my 23yrs minding I've never used a car( and I can drive) I love walking and think that its a healthy routine for children to get used to. I work to the saying- there's no such thing as BAD weather just a BAD choice of clothing, all children come with wet weather gear in their bags always and if on the rare occassion they don't then I use my 'spares' xx

14. Likes Trudey liked this post
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    5/3/13
    Post Thanks / Like

I walk whatever the weather..To be honest it is a 20 minute walk but to get the little ones in the car out. into buggies it is as quick to walk..no expenses...I did when walking to school in heavey rain the other day think how nice it was to get paid for getting wet..

I also think as they are expected to mostly sit down all morning some exercise walking to school..

I agree trial it see how it goes but make them aware it may not be possible after half term

june 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good dec11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,,. I don't mind walking at all, I would do every day.. The children in question go home at 2:45 and I need to be at school for 3;10 so if there late collecting I sometimes don't have time to set off and walk.
    I guess I'm thinking of the children getting wet but I guess that's just tough... My parents are good at dressing some of them... X

17. Likes Goatgirl liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by natalieatk View Post
    Thanks,,. I don't mind walking at all, I would do every day.. The children in question go home at 2:45 and I need to be at school for 3;10 so if there late collecting I sometimes don't have time to set off and walk.
    I guess I'm thinking of the children getting wet but I guess that's just tough... My parents are good at dressing some of them... X
    I have collections at 3, and need to leave at 3.05 for school run.

I tell parents this, and if they are late they have to meet me on the way or collect from school! and I don't take their bags with me! these I leave in a covered area by my garage! ( out of sight of passers by, but parents know to look there! )

june 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good dec11
    Post Thanks / Like

I will in future, they will gave to catch me up on the way thanks everyone!

20. Likes loocyloo liked this post