Do you charge for your holidays.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you charge for your holidays.

In my area it seems that childminders are charging the family's for their ( the childminders) holidays up to 4 weeks.
    I had my 1st family over lady night & said I get full paid holiday. The only time there is no fee is when I am sick. They were fine about it but I don't feel that happy about charging them because they would have to then pay for extra childcare because I'm away.

What do you all do?
    Thanks

Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

If I'm not available or willing to work then I don't charge. If parents have to find alternative care I don't think it's right to make them pay twice

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum
    Mandy xx

3. Likes Kittycat liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dottylotty View Post
    In my area it seems that childminders are charging the family's for their ( the childminders) holidays up to 4 weeks.
    I had my 1st family over lady night & said I get full paid holiday. The only time there is no fee is when I am sick. They were fine about it but I don't feel that happy about charging them because they would have to then pay for extra childcare because I'm away.

What do you all do?
    Thanks
    Don't assume that they will have to pay for childcare when you are away.

Parents have holidays as well! I give my parents the dates of my main holidays in Jan/Feb and they often go away at the same time as me so they don't need additional childcare or one or other of the parents take a week off. Remember between them they have probably twice as much holiday as you and so they will work it out. They may also have family who will help.

Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If I'm not open then I don't chargexx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I get two weeks and many a time give 12 months notice of it
    Debbie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adedwards68 View Post
    If I'm not available or willing to work then I don't charge. If parents have to find alternative care I don't think it's right to make them pay twice

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum
    I agree. I know at least one of my parents use another cm if I am on holiday, so as you say they would end up paying twice!!!

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here, if I am unable or unwilling to work then I dont charge either. x
    If all else fails......add glitter!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I only charge if I am available to work. I try to think about it from the parents side. If my setting wasn't open to take my child I wouldn't want to pay so I treat my clients the same way I would like to be treated. I suppose if parents are ok with it then it's up to you though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for all your replies. I am going to change my fees so I don't charge for holidays as would feel better about that. Hope the family doesn't think I'm unprofessional and unorganised by changing it. I just hadn't really thought about it & went on what the other childminders do.

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am are the family will be delighted! I don't charge when I am on holiday/off sick and so most of my families take same holidays as me so they don't have to pay - they only pay if they take different holidays to me/when child is off sick xx

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't use to charge for any of my holidays as I felt if i wasn't providing a service at the time then I couldn't but after last xmas a choose to start charging just over the xmas period holiday as most people would have this off anyway and to be honest I really needed to know I would get at least one break a year where I would still be getting paid and I would get quality time as a family.

Apart from that if I choose to go on holiday I don't charge as I am closed, if the parents are telling me they are choosing not to send there children for what ever reason (sick/holidays) then I will charge as although I won't be having their children the most likely is i'd still be having other children so I'm still not getting a day off anyway.

Some childminders around here get full fees for their holidays (4 weeks per year) and some charge 50% for both parents and childminders

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you all do?
    Thanks
    I would charge 4 weeks paid hols - give plenty of notice so parents can coincide their hols - everyone gets paid everyone gets a break.

14. Likes cupcake22 liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chimps Childminding View Post
    I agree. I know at least one of my parents use another cm if I am on holiday, so as you say they would end up paying twice!!!
    But surely that is absolutely their choice? None of my parents have ever paid twice for childcare. They just go on holiday when I do so they don't have to!

16. Likes Koala, cupcake22 liked this post
    Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge full fee for my holidays (4 weeks) & none of my families have ever paid double childcare - most of them just book theirs at the same time but a couple use family for the odd day. I do give plenty of notice (already booked 2 x 1 weeks in the summer & a week in October!). Only time I don't charge is Christmas, Boxing Day & NYD.

Whilst I'm sure parents would rather I didn't charge, I didn't want to be in a position where I couldn't afford time off & have never lost an enquiry because if it.

18. Likes Koala, rickysmiths, cupcake22 liked this post
    Apr 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

MrsP2C you make a good point. We are just like the parents in regards to not being able to afford time off.

If we did not charge for our holidays we would not get a break. What good would we be to the children then.

I understand it must be frustrating for parents feeling as though they are paying for us to be on holiday and some even paying double. I am sure tax credits can top up if fees increase for a week or 2.

If enough notice is given and it is on the contract then parents who sign have either not read it or are happy to pay.

I bend over backwards for alot of my parents, however, now I am going away they suddenly feel cheated.

We can never win.

20. Likes Koala, rickysmiths liked this post
    Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the family will think that.
    I always feel tongue tied talking about money and fees too.
    I personally don't charge my holidays. But half fees term time etc,
    Go with what you are comfortable charging and asking regardless if other childminders to your area do otherwise.

Apr 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Had meeting with parent today and she apologised for having a pop at me and understands why I have added 3 wks paid holiday into the contract.

As a compromise this time we agreed on half fees but moving forward if she signs new contract full fees will apply.

Like our parents we cannot afford to take time off unpaid but deserve a break like everyone else.

Ppl think we earn thousands when more often than not we make a loss.

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't charge for my holidays, for me it just doesn't feel right.

I do charge for their holidays/absence.

Post Thanks / Like

With my first family I said I get paid for my holiday but also felt bad about it. So I emailed them with a new payment policy saying I do not charge for my holiday & I feel happier about that.

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

With my first family I said I get paid for my holiday but also felt bad about it. So I emailed them with a new payment policy saying I do not charge for my holiday & I feel happier about that.
    Well done. I think it's important to be happy with your policy, because you'll have an easier time defending it when parents query it. I wouldn't be able to defend a policy where parents have to pay me for my holiday, but I'm happy to defend my right to be paid if they are on holiday!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast