Do I charge fees if parents don't need me in school holidays?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do I charge fees if parents don't need me in school holidays?

Hello, I am a over 5s childminder so only do before/after school and school holidays. I currently have 3 children in my care. One is full time (3 hours a day and 10 hours a day school holidays), another one is 3 hours a day after school and occasional holiday care and the 3rd one is 2 hours a day twice a week and no school holidays. My hourly rate is £2.65 and if I do not have the children in my care (e.g if they are ill or on holiday) my reduced fee is £1.32 (if I am ill or on holiday fee is £0)

So far I have charged the £1.32 an hour if the child does not come to me in the school holidays (based on their regular contract hours so for the 3rd child they are charged £5.30 a week in school holidays) and I have never had any problems before. However, I have met a lady who wants me to care for her two children after school for 2 hours but does not need care during school holidays as she is a teacher. I explained to her that the fee during school holidays would be £1.32 per usual hour (so 2 hours a day) which she wasn't happy with and said she wouldn't pay. Now I suppose yes this is a bit steep but I've never had any problems with other parents. So should I stick to my guns or not charge her? Or just charge her a small retainer fee?

Hope this makes sense!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any advice, just had to comment that you are soooo cheap!

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to charge a retainer in the holidays when I minded for a teachers children (half hourly rate) and I think this is normal practice. However, now I do offer Term Time only contracts and Holiday only contracts just because it suits me. To be honest, I think it's not much for the parent to come up with to retain your services... Will another CM offer her such a good deal, I don't think so. Hope it works out for you!

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlottenash View Post
    Haha I know thankyou :-) when people contact me they don't believe me lol

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funemnx View Post
    I used to charge a retainer in the holidays when I minded for a teachers children (half hourly rate) and I think this is normal practice. However, now I do offer Term Time only contracts and Holiday only contracts just because it suits me. To be honest, I think it's not much for the parent to come up with to retain your services... Will another CM offer her such a good deal, I don't think so. Hope it works out for you!
    Hi thanks for the reply. I've never had to do a term time only contract before, what exactly is it? Is it where I only charge for term time but spread it over the 12 months? Thanks for your help

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlottenash View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Is she really quibbling over £26 a week. I'm sure you'd fill those spaces easily

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum
    Mandy xx

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adedwards68 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Is she really quibbling over £26 a week. I'm sure you'd fill those spaces easily

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum
    Thanks, I thought maybe I was being too mean but I guess I'm not :-)
    There doesn't seem to be much call for childcare in my area really so I'm just worried that if I lose these 2 girls then I won't get anyone else, it took me almost a year to go from just one child to 3 so I'm just a bit worried but if I do back down it means I will have to change the contracts for the other two parents that don't use me in school holidays (it's only fair) so I guess I will lose more money

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there any reason your fees are so low?
    Is this normal for your area?

If not i would seriously consider raising them, even if just for new customers.

As for the after school / school holiday thing then yes i think you should definatley charge your half fees - you are so cheap anyway.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe he is worried about such a low fee! I would perhaps charge a higher rate term time only?

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by little chickee View Post
    Is there any reason your fees are so low?
    Is this normal for your area?

If not i would seriously consider raising them, even if just for new customers.

As for the after school / school holiday thing then yes i think you should definatley charge your half fees - you are so cheap anyway.
    Childminders in my area charge around £3.50 an hour and when I started out I wanted to try and get ahead of the competition and only charged £2.50 an hour. I recently changed the rate to £2.65 as I didn't want to increase it by too much. I think I will stick to my guns then and tell her that's my final fee, she's not going to find a cheaper quote!!!

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    I can't believe he is worried about such a low fee! I would perhaps charge a higher rate term time only?
    Thanks, that's a good idea how much would you maybe recommend - £3.00? Or is this too high?

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would tell her to take it or leave it - her decision. It's normal practice and I'd be surprised if she found anyone cheaper.

13. Likes Lynz08 liked this post
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very good
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't type what I'd be telling her to do...

15. Likes Lynz08 liked this post
    May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sing-low View Post
    I would tell her to take it or leave it - her decision. It's normal practice and I'd be surprised if she found anyone cheaper.
    I've just quickly text her saying i'm sticking with the original contract and that she needs to meet me to discuss it further. TBH she already signed the contract and didn't read it properly obviously because it was me that mentioned the school holidays she didn't even realise

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Samijanec View Post
    I can't type what I'd be telling her to do...
    Hahaha :-)
    I'm just glad everyone is seeing it from the view I am I thought maybe I was being a bit cheeky!!

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Say you understand her problem and wish her the best in finding a more affordable option ;-)

You say you are worried about her going elsewhere but will she really find anyone cheaper?

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tealady View Post
    Say you understand her problem and wish her the best in finding a more affordable option ;-)

You say you are worried about her going elsewhere but will she really find anyone cheaper?
    Thankyou yes that is a very good point! She does have her son to rely on though, he is in year 10 but she didn't want him picking them up because of concentrating on his GCSE's but I suppose she could always ask him :-/

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

She's signed a contract so she has to stick to it. It's not your fault if she didn't read it properly!

21. Likes Lynz08 liked this post
    May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

She's replied back to me now asking how much I would charge if I just charged during term time not during school holidays. I said £3 an hour which on average loses me about £60 over a year but I'm not going to grumble at that :-) Very glad I stuck to my guns now because I'd have lost nearly £350 if I'd have given in and not charged during school hols. Just have to wait and see whether she is okay with that

Glitter Guest

I think you really need to advertise your low fees. Parents will be falling over themselves to send their children to you.

Have you thought about asking the local primary schools if they would give out your information to parents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast