Hello, I am a over 5s childminder so only do before/after school and school holidays. I currently have 3 children in my care. One is full time (3 hours a day and 10 hours a day school holidays), another one is 3 hours a day after school and occasional holiday care and the 3rd one is 2 hours a day twice a week and no school holidays. My hourly rate is £2.65 and if I do not have the children in my care (e.g if they are ill or on holiday) my reduced fee is £1.32 (if I am ill or on holiday fee is £0)

So far I have charged the £1.32 an hour if the child does not come to me in the school holidays (based on their regular contract hours so for the 3rd child they are charged £5.30 a week in school holidays) and I have never had any problems before. However, I have met a lady who wants me to care for her two children after school for 2 hours but does not need care during school holidays as she is a teacher. I explained to her that the fee during school holidays would be £1.32 per usual hour (so 2 hours a day) which she wasn't happy with and said she wouldn't pay. Now I suppose yes this is a bit steep but I've never had any problems with other parents. So should I stick to my guns or not charge her? Or just charge her a small retainer fee?

Hope this makes sense!!