Guaranteed Holiday only space - what to charge?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Guaranteed Holiday only space - what to charge?

I have 3 siblings all needing care for the school holidays plus the youngest one needs care before pre school every day.

Mum needs a guaranteed space for the older two in the holidays and wants to spread payment over the whole year.

She is a student and gets 5 weeks off during the school holidays so I have agreed to charge 50% fees for these weeks and I wont have the children (as tbh I could do with a break in the holidays plus I want to spend time with MY kids and no one else)

The last year i've had the girls and wrote down in the contract about needing 45 days cover in the holidays so she has kind of pick and choosed when i've had them, which is getting on my nerves as some days she'll only send one of them then I still have to have the other two on another day as she didn't send them, so i'm effectively working two days still and not getting a break.

This year I wanted to word if differently so she knows she knows she has to pay for the whole of the school holidays (but me having 5 of those weeks off but at 50%fees) so if she doesn't send any of the children it's just tough she loses the days care and cant ask for an extra one another day.

Also seeing as she wants to spread the cost monthly (due to being able to claim help with weekly childcare costs), is there any way I can word the contract so that if they leave before the school summer holidays that they cant ask for money back? I was thinking of just wring in the contract monthly fees are £XXX as on the odd occasion she has asked if I could collect after school too but pay extra for it.

I hope this makes sense

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a parent ask me if they could have guaranteed school holidays and spread payment over the course of the year....After a long think about it and calculations, I worked out that come the summer holidays, I would end up being paid in arrears and if they decided to leave before the end of the year it would be hard to get the money owed even with a contract....based on this I advised that payment must be in advance, at least this way you can never end up out of pocket

Hth

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well they would start paying in September for the following year so actually paying in advance for care, hence why I concerned that if they left in June say I'd owe them lots if money back which in theory if I hadn't spread the payment they wouldn't be entitled to any way because she didn't need childcare every week

Post Thanks / Like

If a parent wanted to guarantee a place with me then they would have to say exactly what they wanted and when as that is the only way I'd know what other space I'd have available. How can you plan your work (or days out) if you don't know who is coming when?

I'm not sure about spreading the cost over a year either - as you say if they leave you may end up owing them. With holiday only cover I am paid in advance four weeks before the holiday starts, that way if they change their mind I have already been paid.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would prepare a quote for all the holidays less the 50% for the 5 weeks and divide that by 12. I would put comments in the contract to the effect that fee will be charged unless x amount of holiday notice is given- but only for 45 holiday days. Anything above that, fee still payable. Any days used in term time will also be payable (probably at the end of that month or on booking). Also termination of the contract for each half term would need to be given at the beginning of each school (half term) for the following half term break (so you have 6-7 weeks in reality). The fact that you will end up owing money cannot be avoided, because parent will always be paying in advance. Only suggestion would be that you put the monthly amount into a savings account and only use what is due to you each holiday period.
    Can't remember if you wanted to know anything else.

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot it's much appreciated, I guess I'm a bit annoyed at myself as I'm actually sacrificing a full time mindee to keep one if the spaces that's needed for holiday care only, silly me didn't think about it last year when I signed them up, plus next year she still wants me to have the children for the holiday only care (as all 3 will be in full time school) but seeing as my children will be at full time school too then, there is no way I can afford to keep 3 spaces open for 3 children who only attend in the holidays. I think she's going to have a bit of a shock!