Are my fees to high
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Keeley77 Guest

Default Are my fees to high

HI,

I'm starting to feel concerned that my fees are to high.

I charge £3.75p/h (for EY and after school children) and will charge for 1/2 hours if needed to keep parent costs down. - I include cooked lunch, snacks, and daily groups in this fee. I don't charge for my sickness or holiday and now only charge 1/2 for child holidays.

I know that a lady not far from me charges 3.60 and doesn't provide lunch or groups. But I also know of another who only charges £3.00 p/h for preschool age but £4 per hour for after school children.

The reason I've started to doubt my fee's are set correctly is because ive got one child leaving going to a Nursery (moving house) and the mum said the Nursery is charging the same fees as me. (i did ring and enquire and discovered they charge about £8 a day more than me) didn't bother challenging the mum though. but obviously there was an implication that my fees are high. (thats assuming that nurseries are a superior setting to a childminders setting, which I don't think they are).

Would like to hear others opinions and what others charge.

I'm in the Plymouth area and I think charges do vary across the city, but obviously I need to be competitive in the area i'm in, I don't know whether to drop my fees slightly. I have only been a childminder since Jan 12 so im still finding my feet with regard to fees, contract etc etc.

Thanks x

Registered Childminder since
    Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Sound to me like nursery may be needing business and matched your price!

I bet mum went in telling them how much she pays and gave them an ultimatum perhaps?

At the end of the day a lower payment is better than no payment in anyone's eyes.

Nursery probably charge a usual fee (the one they told you) but are willing to undercut others in order to get the business! This shows that as childminders, we are a force to be reckoned with!!!

Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry hadn't quite finished!

Your changes seem fine to me!
    My childminder friends all charge different amounts and some are less than me, some are higher.

I don't think it matters too much, most parents will go with a childminder based on their ability and experience, although some go cheap, only to moan and grumble about their child's care and what, they failed to realise at the start, is not included!

I've never been without business, despite having 3 nurseries and 2 cheaper childminders within a 4 mile radius.

Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what the average price is in Plymouth but where I am in Kent most of the childminders charge £5 per hour so that's how much I charge.

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge £3.60 per hour and I am in Suffolk...fees range round here from £3.40 - £3.75...and some minders I know charge £4 or £5 an hour x

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Stevenage Hertfordshire

3.90 an hour
    £30 a day max 10 days
    £150 a week max 5 days

I am cheap for my area but feel bad charging anymore than that as a new CM. will put it up next year.

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think your rate seems fair from what you say the others charge, as you include everything. If you do drop I wouldn't do it below the £3.60 the other CM charges that doesn't include anything.

I never go for the "well such and such is cheaper" method of negotiation. I just state that I have worked out what I need to earn per hour to cover my costs and earn a living so my rate is my rate and that I understand that they may need to take there business elsewhere to make it more affordable for them.

Keeley77 Guest

Thanks all for your replies.

Not decided what to do yet...

Have just had a parent state that they wont be using me before/after school as the after school club is cheaper. Can't really compete as they charge £3.00 for the 1st hour then £3.50 p/h i think. Although they do charge something like £15.00 per 15 mins that a parent is late..

Do any of you charge a different rate for after school children? I'm pretty sure ive only heard people say they charge slightly more?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Your prices all seem reasonable and you've checked they are competitive for your area so I wouldn't lower them.

My after school fees are set at 50p more per hour than daytime rates - I am more expensive than the after school club but then not everyone wants their child to go from a full day at school to an after school club set in one room in the same building.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Keeley77 View Post
    Thanks all for your replies.

Not decided what to do yet...

Have just had a parent state that they wont be using me before/after school as the after school club is cheaper. Can't really compete as they charge £3.00 for the 1st hour then £3.50 p/h i think. Although they do charge something like £15.00 per 15 mins that a parent is late..

Do any of you charge a different rate for after school children? I'm pretty sure ive only heard people say they charge slightly more?

Thanks
    I've had a few that tell me before and after school club is cheaper but I argue.......
    yes they may be cheaper, but would you have wanted to spend up to 10hrs a day in a school environment, possibly with fellow pupils that you have nothing in common with and would be very unlikely to invite home for tea!!
    Would you not have preferred a sofa to sit on to veg out and watch kids programmes?
    Help with your homework whilst sat in a family home ?