Would you charge late fee?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Would you charge late fee?

My mindee has been with me over a year and mum has typically picked up early or on time. About three weeks ago after my holiday she was about 25 minutes late as she accidentally went to his nursery thinking it was a nursery day. She said I could charge her an extra hour and was very apologetic and I told her I wouldn't charge her as she was usually on time and it was a one off. Well since then she has been late every week. Last week it was by five minutes and she didn't explain why and I felt uncomfortable bringing it up, and today she turned up 15 minutes late with no apology or explanation and again, I didn't know how to bring it up without sounding rude.

I really don't like the way this is going and don't want to set the habit of being late, but with previous parents, they have become very angry when being charged late fees and have left because of it.

He is about to become my only mindee and I don't want him to go but I also don't want to be taken advantage of...

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I probably wouldn't charge for the 5mins as traffic, not getting out of work exactly on time happens to a lot of people (me all the time before I became a childminder) But with no contact for anything over 5mins I would def charge.
    Also if its constant I would look at maybe suggesting to mum extending the minded hours by either 15 or 30 mins.

3. Likes Goatgirl, loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

do you get mum to sign an attendance register? or if you keep one, maybe say to mum '' I've noticed that you've been picking up the last couple of weeks, do you want to extend your hours?, as I should be charging late fees and these will go on the next invoice ''

good luck xxx

5. Likes Goatgirl, ziggy liked this post
    july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    i would call Mum or just ask her on collection if there has been a change that's causing her to be late on x day. Then suggest an extension "as it will be far less expensive than late fees". She may think that because you didn't charge that one time, you don't mind and this will remind her you jolly well do .

When they are late and I don't charge the late fee, I write it on the invoice anyway, then write 'not charged on this occasion' next to it. I also found lots of families were starting to arrive a few minutes late without apology, or exactly at the end of the half hour and then faff about in the doorway for 10 valuable minutes...... so I didn't charge late fees that month, but did charge for the extra time (min of 1/2 hour here) and write a 'polite reminder' (at the bottom of the invoice) that I have charges for lateness as per my fees and charges policy which would be applied from the date of the invoice, urging them to arrive in good time as late fees apply from the time they leave my premises . They all managed to be on time the following month .

I let them off for up to 5 mins if I get an explanation and apology. Over that is charged, as is a tiny bit late but without concern/apology . I also have one family where I know the Dad will bring early when he does drop off, but let them off as its only a couple of times a month and they have always been very good about collecting on or before collection time and I take my time answering the door, which reminds dad he is early and he always apologises and looks suitably abashed, bless him . Another has slightly different school runs to when we did our contract so tends to drop and collect 10 minutes late and I don't charge for this as its only one day a week and it doesn't inconvenience me at all as I have children arrive before and leave after.

Good luck, hope you don't have to bring out the big guns
    Last edited by Goatgirl; 16-07-2013 at 05:01 PM.