Charge for when at nursery?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Charge for when at nursery?

Hi I currently look after a little one who attends preschool. the current set up is that I drop him off at preschool in the morning and collect him afterwards. I therefore charge for the time he is at preschool and I am on call should the preschool close, he is poorly etc. He is starting nursery from September with similar hours but I will no longer be dropping him off for preschool just collecting in the afternoon and then dropping him off on another day. As I am not dropping him off anymore I feel that I shouldn't be charging for the time he is at nursery although the mum has asked to put my name down in a case of emergency. Just wanted some feedback as to what everyone else would do! Thanks

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No I don't think you can charge when not dropping off

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou, the reason I charged previously was due to the fact I cannot fill that space with another child, which has not changed although I am not sure if I am comfortable charging when not dropping off!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Funnily enough I was able to fill a space between taking LO to preschool and picking up but that was more because mindee in the middle lived near the school!

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i would explain to parents that its either one or the other..if you are a contact during nursery hours then you will require half pay (or full depending on how you charge) but if they aren't paying then you will fill the space and couldn't be called upon if nursery closed (snowdays ,strike,etc).I always find that parents prefere to pay rather than loose the cover.I've quite a few LO's who just need a morning

Post Thanks / Like

Will he be at nursery all year round or will he need a full time space in the holidays? I would definitely charge for the whole day if the space was needed in holidays because I think you'd be unlikely to fill the space for those few hours tto.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe there is necessarily a "right" or "wrong" way - just whatever the CM and the parent can agree upon.

The 'norm' seems to be one of charging for dropping off and collecing a pre-school child (but not a schoolie, who might equally well stop a CM taking on another child full time ) - and not charging if only collecting from pre-school or nursery. But I and other CMs don't charge for any of this, though I have no problem with those who do charge.

As other members have said, much depends on whether you're expected to have the lo during holidays or other pre-school/nursery closures.

I would be cautious about being an emergency contact. You are more likely to be called upon because the lo is sick, rather than an emergency closure at the nursery. You then have the dilemma of either taking in a sick child, or trying to explain to mum that you won't be doing something she may think she specifically pays you to be ready to do. Make sure mum understands perfectly what she does and doesn't get for any payment.

8. Likes Goatgirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am facing the same dilemma and hate bringing up the subject if money with parents! I have a little boy 2 days per week 8am-5pm, full time, so kind during school hols. He starts nursery in September and is going 5 mornings. I will only be collecting him on those 2 days at 11.30am, so not dropping off. I will not be able to fill that morning space because I will be looking after him full days during the school hols still.
    So would I still charge for the full day?
    Sorry for jumping in on your post, lol hope you don't mind x

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfradgley1 View Post
    I am facing the same dilemma and hate bringing up the subject if money with parents! I have a little boy 2 days per week 8am-5pm, full time, so kind during school hols. He starts nursery in September and is going 5 mornings. I will only be collecting him on those 2 days at 11.30am, so not dropping off. I will not be able to fill that morning space because I will be looking after him full days during the school hols still.
    So would I still charge for the full day?
    Sorry for jumping in on your post, lol hope you don't mind x
    I have a similar situation and charge Mum my minimum daily fee as I can't fill the space. If someone wanted those hours I would not charge Mum but I think it's very unlikely!

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't often do nursery pick ups and drop offs - they are my competition, I offer a similar service as them, parent can choose one or the other. It would fell like I am giving some of my work to them, and helping to do it lol.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

i have one here that I drop off and collect. I dont charge while they are there and have filled the space. Flukey i know but hey im one lucky girl x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had the same conversation with one of my mums.

Child A is going to nursery and mum is dropping off and going on to school.

Dilemma : Don't charge and take on someone else (if I can) - what happens if the school closes for TTD's and holidays. Does mum want cover?

My answer was that I would be needed so I charge mum for the "place" and not the child.
    Debbie

Post Thanks / Like

I think if parent still needed the space in the holidays, I would charge half fee for the time they are at Nursery. Unless you could get a term time only child to fill the space and would not need it in the holidays (if you are lucky enough that is)!!

As for emergency contact, I will pick a child up if the school/nursery has to close for some reason (boiler breakdown, flood etc) but will not collect an ill child (unless I had no other mindees and I could get there quicker than parents, and then only till parent could collect from me) If a child is too ill to be at school/nursery, they are too ill to be here

15. Likes Goatgirl liked this post