Quote Originally Posted by bindy View Post
What legal team are you talking about? I tried to talk with MM about my notice period, no advice at all, told me it was a personal matter, they just cover personal liability! Nice if she got some advice but like I said I got no joy.( I am a member of NCMA they told me to send a letter regarding small claims.) I was only saying small claims is there, it's easy to use and costs are very low and she has nothing to lose if she does not win, only around £25. I did it regarding notice period, I was told all sorts by my client, "You did not give me notice about some changes" etc etc( I changed me setting slightly) I still went ahead and won! If she feels strongly about her one morning, which should not be belittled in anyway, because its only one morning, not many people would work one morning for no pay! Just giving her advice .
I agree. The small claims route is there, and a perfectly legitimate one to take.

I'm surprised and disappointed to hear that MM wouldn't give legal advice on a notice period. They make quite a thing of the legal advice line/debt recovery thing in their website and promotional material. In fact, I've heard of a lot of CMs switching to MM expressly because the CMs believed MM were much more supportive than NCMA/pacey when it comes to contracts and legal advice. Maybe they were just following 'wishful thinking' after all?

i wouldn't want to belittle the amount either. That said, there is a sensible business case for asking ones-self, "is this an amount of money I'm prepared to work an additional #hours on legal work in order to possibly recover?"

Similarly, a CM can only decide for her/himself as to the possible business/reputational consequences of taking or not taking action. Pursue a debt and we can find ourselves being branded "mean" and "unfriendly" by all the parents in the playground. Don't pursue it and everyone thinks we're a "pushover".

It's a difficult call to make, and I wouldn't want to have to make that decision.