Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Settling in fee

Registered Childminder since
    mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Settling in fee

So I have a new mindee starting end of August we have arranged 3 settling in days
    Mum wants full days for all 3 days (1 day 1 week than 2 days nx week than the proper hours)
    Do you charge for settling in days as I'm now thinking I'm working 8-6 which is a days fee

Thing is mum has left a deposit last week but I think she thinks that is for the proper start date but the deposit covers the 3 settling in days so I think she thinks their free ?

I've never done settling in days before parents have just thrown the kids in the door usually lol and I'm also a soft touch

Any advice

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't charge but then only have them for a few hours never a full day as setting in

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually offer a few hours for free but I would charge something for three full days. What about telling mum you will do the first x number of hours for free then bill her for the rest?

Sam x

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so my view on settling in sessions...
    I don't charge for them and like to build from an hr or so to nearly a full day that they require. Although I do know minders who do.
    I feel that it's important to do sessions to ensure that the child gets used to me and I can also pick up on anything relevant and gives me a good starting point!
    However sometimes they're not possible for quick starters.
    Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do 2 or 3 sessions of 2 hours for free when settling in. If the parent wants more than that I would charge.

Full days I would definitely charge for.

6. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

A full day isn't settling in, it is childcare. Did you offer full days or did she ask? Maybe she doesn't know that settling in is a bit at a time. Lots of communication coming up I think
    Debbie

8. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

I offer 1 2 hours settling in session any more than that then parents pay

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use to offer x2 2hr free settling in sessions but after having parents that wanted more hours/days for settling in I changed it to charging full fee for settling in and they can have as many hours/days as they like

I think you need to let her know exactly how many hours (if any) you are prepared to give her for free and that any over that amount will be charged for in full.

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I Said to mum shall we do a Morning where she can shop go for coffee and come bk and she said no I comfy on a full day as I'm working from home so if need be I can come bk she than went on to say one day one week and 2 days nx week than the full contract starting

Think I may ring mum and check the days she wants and state as full days after the morning sessions I will be charging

Thanks all

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by supermumy View Post
    I Said to mum shall we do a Morning where she can shop go for coffee and come bk and she said no I comfy on a full day as I'm working from home so if need be I can come bk she than went on to say one day one week and 2 days nx week than the full contract starting

Think I may ring mum and check the days she wants and state as full days after the morning sessions I will be charging

Thanks all
    If she is working, whether from home or not, then I would be charging.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Jul 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I give 4 hours free to be taken however parent wants to do it, but anything over that is charged at normal hourly rate
    Love Amanda

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by supermumy View Post

Thanks all
    That is childcare not settling in and the Contract should start and this should be counted as full contract care. I do one session of one hour, then 2-3 over a meal time so I can see what they are like eating and that is it I then go into the full contract and have the 4 week settling down period at the beginning.

I would say to the mum that if she wants to start straight off that is fine but she will have to pay the full amount for the weeks even though she is choosing not to use all the days because what she wants for the days she is using is childcare.

I have had my fingers burnt with this one and I am very tough now.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I would charge too. Everyday I am amazed by the tricks that are pulled out of the hat.

I give 2 x 2 hours free if they want it, This is generally for parents - to help them, the children are a lot easier to deal with.

Your being taken for a ride here, clever mummy, you need to get this sorted from the start and watch this one for pulling a fast one.

if she knows your a push over from the start, your in for a minefield of hassle check she knows about, understands and accepts the usual - payments for holidays. sickness etc...

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all

I've made holidays sickness etc all very clear just didn't really talk about settling in as never had to do it before or if so was just half day and than brung
    Thanks will contact mum and discuss

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amanda1309 View Post
    I give 4 hours free to be taken however parent wants to do it, but anything over that is charged at normal hourly rate
    I do the same

xxx

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I tend to offer 1or 2 hours free for every day contracted. So if they are signing for a full week I offer more than if they are just taking one day. Any more is charged for.

This is only offered after contracts have been signed and deposit paid.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A full day is not 'settling in'. It's someone trying to grab a freebie.

I offer free settling in sessions according to need, and proportionate to the level of contracted hours/days. But they're meant to help the child (and nervous mum) 'break in gently'.

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha, I love how she calls it settling in. No it is 3 full days care, where is the settling in amongst this? Child is suddenly there for a full day. I would charge for 2 1/2 days for this.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i would say to mum that settling in is usually short days to introduce child to your setting. You offer x/hours free (or not if you don't) but that if she wants to have full days care without settling in they will be payable in full. Explain the deposit is against her committing to the start date of the contract.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would call this a "staggered start" as opposed to settling in and I can't believe she would expect you to do it for free, surely she expects to pay the full rate but just doesn't want to kick straight off with a full week? Like other I do up to 3 x 1 hour settling in sessions and I do this for free, I usually find they are invaluable, make my job when the child does start a lot easier and is a nice start to a good partnership with the parents. In your case I would charge the full fee, no way would I do a days work for nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast