Weekend fees
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Weekend fees

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weekend fees

I have just started childminding, at the moment I look after 2 boys 9 months and 4 (with autism). Their mum has to work one full weekend in 8, I don't really want to work weekends and have never told her I would, but she has assumed I will! The tricky thing is she is a very close friend and I think expects special treatment (like me still having boys when they are sick which I won't do). I was wondering who works weekends and if they do, do you charge extra? When she works a weekend I won't have the boys for 2 days in the week, so can I charge her extra for a weekend? She has said her mum can do some Saturdays but wants me to do the Sunday but I'm guessing it will end up being both days. It's only one weekend in 8 so it's not too bad, but just confused about fees and approaching this with her. Guess I have more of a leg to stand on if I know it's a common thing to charge extra for weekends.

Registered Childminder since
    Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would charge double time for weekends for both children, as my time at weekends is precious and its not worth it to me otherwise. I think most cms round here do charge a premium (well most don't do out of hours work but the ones that do...). I would also consider only doing one day, not both, as otherwise you'll be doing two weeks without a break.

The two days off you'd get midweek will mean little if and when.you get other mindees! You will just end.up working those two days for very little pay for your remaining mindees, and the weekend for little pay for your friends kids. You'll spread the same earnings over seven days and be exhausted to boot!

Speaking from experience id say yyou need to decide what you want to do, even if that means charging a much higher rate or refusing to work the weekends entirely, and stick to it. Friends have a tendency to take the mickey so start as you mean to go on.
    Last edited by LauraS; 03-06-2013 at 10:36 PM.
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I work a Saturday on an ad hoc basis and charge double fees. I don't work Mondays. I get more custom on a Saturday so it works for me.

Wouldn't dream of working a Sunday even if someone paid me £1000 (no joke, I wouldn't do it) Sundays are a family day in our house and always will be.

Just do what you thinks right, is there a chance you begin doing a weekend 1 in 8, and then she decides to take overtime every one in 4. Or that she will begin arriving late for pick up etc because she knows she can get away with it?

Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I very occasionally work a Saturday & charge double time (triple for Sunday but never been asked ) but only 9-5pm otherwise it encroaches on family time too much.
    Will she be paying you the same amount each week regardless of whether they come 2 days less in the week or do weekends? If so I would make it clear you can do a maximum of 1 Saturday in 8 and that the extra fee (ie to make up for double pay) but be paid for in advance over and above normal fees. I agree that if you don't set the ground rules now (especially with a friend) this could end up seeing you working 1 full weekend a month before you know it without actually having days off in the week when you have other mindees.

Post Thanks / Like

I currently do weekends which include saturday and sunday. I do charge 6 per hour for weekends. But I do a full week rate for the mum of 150 a week and 2 pounds additional per hour on saturday and sunday. Although ivdid this thinking that it would be like once or twice a month. I dont think I would offer weekends again with another mindee. Cause it affects my personal life. Two weeks ago sunday I could not go for morning mass cause I was working and that same weekend I had a baby shower which I also could not attend. You really have to make it worth your while and be clear on the days as well.