Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Changing hours after only a week

Could I just ask opinions please on the following:

LO started last week, 4 days, perfect hours, I like to finish by 4.30pm and keep my Friday as free as possible, I don't ask for much

End of first week, they said hours would change in July no indication of that beforehand and today they gave me sheet of new hours. Its shift work one week five days 42 hours, following week five days 10 hours total.

This is about £150 less a month not including one of the Fridays where I have no space and later finishes.

Almost impossible to fill the hours on the short week so should I charge? As for the Friday on the long week, I suppose I could have lo on continuity of care basis as it brings my total that Friday to 4 under 5 but to be honest not sure I want to.

Am I just being an old grump feeling a bit cross that this isn't what I signed up for.

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

If it wasn't mentioned or brought up before hand I wouldn't change hours to be honest esp if you have others in the spare day

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not be happy either.
    Work out what you want to do and tell them how it is going to be, personally I would do the Friday but if you don't want to do it say so now, don't compromise and carry on as resentment will creep in.

It is rude of the parent not to discuss this with you and just assuming you will do whatever they decide they need. You need to make it clear what service you offer, that the contract is I place for a reasons any changes need to be agreed by both parties with the agreed notice to change.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Parent really should have brought this up as it was clearly going to be important; you would probably have not taken LO in the first place if you had known this.....maybe parent knew this too which is why they mentioned it after only one week.

You are within your rights to say you don't want to do these hours and give notice. 10 hours over 5 days is hardly worth it and takes up one of your spaces.

Whatever you want to do, make sure you talk to the parent as soon as possible other wise it will fester and if you're not intending to keep the child on then it may be best not to go too far and get attached!

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I was shocked! That's rude! If they are prepared to do this, what next? I'd run a mile if it were me

However, if you need/want the business, then I think you need to schedule a meeting and explain about retainers for the short week!

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would would accommodate the new hours but the pay would have to stay the same. Tell them you have a day rate
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

7. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

July is only three weeks away! If someone did that to me I would be furious. And really irritated that what was a perfect contract had changed to one that wasn't. If it were me, I would seriously consider giving notice. If they start like this, it may well get worse. If you decide to accommodate them, I would insist on the payment as originally agreed.

apr 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I log in to say exactly the same - started with a 9mnth old last week, full time.
    Today mum said is it OK but they are now only going to do term time only as a relative is going to have them during school holidays.
    As it happens this is going to be fine as I don't work term time and my mum would prefer to be quieter during holidays but I'm really shocked, that she can do this.
    The other problem is that my policy is that I never have friends children and this is a friend, should have stuck with my gut feeling. :-(

Post Thanks / Like

I think this probably happens more than we realise, guess u could take it as a compliment that they wanted to use you but didn't want to risk you wouldn't take little one.. Happened to me a couple of years ago, at meeting mum said it was full time, then all of a sudden she had holidays to use up so it would be 3 days a week, I thought ok well holidays can't last forever so worth hanging on, then they decided they couldn't afford me 5 days a week, so it became 5 days one week and three the other week with granny covering two days a fortnight,,, I bent over backwards to accommodate them, told her I would review it if I couldn't fill the space but always managed to get ad hoc, and turned away full time children to keep them as little one was fab and parents were nice ..
    Where are we now? Notice email sent while i was away on holidays, Lo gone to nursery, and not so much as a thank you card when they left on Friday,. After almost 2 years care!

So be careful, the ones you accommodate like this might take you for a mug and never appreciate all you do., I would be livid if I was you and definitely set a minimum rate., you don't want to resent turning away enquiries later who will pay full rate

Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your replies, its good to know others would feel the same.

I would like to think the change of hours wasn't planned but I do think they need educating on how things work.

Just before this I had the annoyance of a family who wanted full time, visited loads, lots of emails/communication/paperwork drawn up only to be told on the last visit that lo might have a pet allergy. As some of you may know I have 2 dogs/2 cats so an lo with a pet allergy is a no go here. They wanted to work round it, not sure how they thought that would work but after more discussions it was mutually decided he should go elsewhere.

When the current family appeared I thought it was meant to be, the perfect hours/days for me so I feel disappointed they didn't mention that hours were not permanent. They wanted immediate care and I find it hard to believe they didn't know about the changes. We are only a week into a four week settling in period so I could say bye bye and leave it at that. However, I will have a think as I do like to think the best of people and would like to accommodate them if possible so just need to sit down and decide what is acceptable to me.

On the positive side, I have had a lot of enquiries recently so hopefully if I decide not to continue there will be someone else to fill the space.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you work out an average monthly fee or say on the week they don't want you many hours that you have a minimum of 7 hours a day charge - so if they want for you for 2 that is fine, but they will be paying for 7?

Jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I can only repeat what others have said, accommodating changes and bending over backwards leads down a slippery slope in my experience. I have a family that are lovely but what I've ended up with is far from ideal and not what was originally agree. Obviously circumstances change but surely not after one week, they can't expect 10 hours over 5 days! I thought my 23 hours over 3-4 was bad enough!

I had someone change within few weeks of starting and a resulting variation for 4 under 5 which wasn't what I'd agreed, but we really needed the money and I had to accept it :-(

Good luck!
    Last edited by pinklady756; 11-06-2013 at 02:03 PM.

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I would keep them on, charge extra for the hours they use one week and charge for a full time space the week they only want 10 hours.
    I would not keep a space free for only 10 hours fee a week.

Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Update

Just to let you know what has happened with my parents who decided to change their hours after only one week.
    Hours went from my perfect hours to same one week plus Friday and only 10 hours the second week including Friday which I didn't want.

I gave them the option of paying on the second week 12-5 every day (25 hours) or finding someone else, we were still in my four week settling in period. They have decided to pay as they understand this is my business (that's a first ) and want him to stay here which is a compliment.

I know a lot of you would have charged the full day but I think this has worked for me as they are aware I have tried to accommodate them and have met them half way, which also means a better relationship between us for the future. The money works out a little less than their original hours but not much and I also have the benefit of some less busy time whilst still being paid.

I also do have a parent looking for extra hours who can be flexible so I am hoping she will take up some of those mornings when I have a space so it actually could work to my advantage financially as she has 2 children.

The lo is lovely by the way so that helped in my decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy De View Post
    Just to let you know what has happened with my parents who decided to change their hours after only one week.
    Hours went from my perfect hours to same one week plus Friday and only 10 hours the second week including Friday which I didn't want.

I gave them the option of paying on the second week 12-5 every day (25 hours) or finding someone else, we were still in my four week settling in period. They have decided to pay as they understand this is my business (that's a first ) and want him to stay here which is a compliment.

I know a lot of you would have charged the full day but I think this has worked for me as they are aware I have tried to accommodate them and have met them half way, which also means a better relationship between us for the future. The money works out a little less than their original hours but not much and I also have the benefit of some less busy time whilst still being paid.

I also do have a parent looking for extra hours who can be flexible so I am hoping she will take up some of those mornings when I have a space so it actually could work to my advantage financially as she has 2 children.

The lo is lovely by the way so that helped in my decision.
    Oh that's great well done you for asking for what you wanted! Glad u are happy with the outcome

Non childminder member
    Carer
    Post Thanks / Like

The other problem is that my policy is that I never have friends children and this is a friend, should have stuck with my gut feeling. :-(

Funny you say this I said to my friend yesterday that I am hoping to have children who are not from friends as I want my personal and business to be separate. If they are not close friends and more of an Aquitaince then I'm ok with that as living in a village you tend to know of a lot of people. I know my friend has her kids on waiting list for the two cm in village. Her one child I've been asked to be godparent so I don't think its ideal.

Sorry gone off the radar.

Post Thanks / Like

Its so annoying when you think you have the perfect contract and then they mess you about Before I was off sick (for 8 months) one of my mindees came 2 days a week (Mon or Weds and every Thursday), so I just charged the 2 days. They used another cm while I was off and have now come back needing 5 days kept open but although using 2 days it is sometimes spread over half days!!

Unfortunately as I may need further surgery in the near future (so more time off) I'm not in a position to take anyone else on, so putting up with it for now, but once I am back to full speed will need to review this!!!