Thread: Holidays

Registered Childminder since
    june 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good dec11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Holidays

What does everyone do for holidays?

I started off offering 4 weeks half fees for child and 4 weeks no fees for me

One child came from another childminder and wanted to keep the same arrangement - 2 weeks free for her - 2 weeks paid for me! Which I was fine with!

Just curios if anyone offers different??

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

But does that mean she thinks you can then only take two weeks a year off? Or do you have extra unpaid holiday in your contract?

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I have about 6 weeks unpaid per year

and parents can take 2 to 3 weeks per year free , at my discretion

june 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good dec11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tealady View Post
    But does that mean she thinks you can then only take two weeks a year off? Or do you have extra unpaid holiday in your contract?
    I get 2 weeks paid I can take others unpaid x

may 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I take 4 weeks a year at half fee and charge full fee for anytime time taken by parents
    but I know many childminders in my area take 4 weeks off at full fee and charge full fee for anytime taken by parents
    so I suppose you have to do what you feel comfortable with

hth xx

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

If im open i charge full fees. If im closed i dont charge. I apply this to everything, holidays sickness and appointments. Hth

Post Thanks / Like

I'm the same if I am providing my business and mindee can not attend for whatever reason they pay full and if I can't provide my business they pay nothing
    My husband is also self employed, if he doesn't work he doesn't get paid
    Mandy xx

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Four weeks unpaid for me, parent pay full fees if they take their holidays whilst I am open.

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Structure your charges that take into account the inevitability that sometimes a child is absent, and make it fair for both sides.

If we are unable to offer childcare (our holidays or sickness for example) we do not charge, if a contracted child does not attend, we charge half fee.

Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I read a lot that with being self employed people dont think we should charge as other people that are self employed dont get paid when they dont work. However although we are self employed, we do have contracts with parents, most of which are long term. This in itself makes us very different to other self employed people who do jobs for many different people, most of which is very short term. Just thought I'd say. In the long term its up to us individually what we do, as long as parents understand when they sign the contract.
    Julie X X

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I am closed between christmas & new for which I dont charge and also take 4wks unpaid during the year. Parents pay full if away during term time but half if away during school holidays for which I require 4wks notice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by julie w View Post
    I read a lot that with being self employed people dont think we should charge as other people that are self employed dont get paid when they dont work. However although we are self employed, we do have contracts with parents, most of which are long term. This in itself makes us very different to other self employed people who do jobs for many different people, most of which is very short term. Just thought I'd say. In the long term its up to us individually what we do, as long as parents understand when they sign the contract.
    Yes it is up to the individual, but some parents can't afford to pay out twice for childcare. If I am paying for a service I expect to get that service.
    As you said as long as the parents are happy then that's fine. It's your business and you make the rules
    Mandy xx

13. Likes MiniKins liked this post
    aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adedwards68 View Post
    Yes it is up to the individual, but some parents can't afford to pay out twice for childcare. If I am paying for a service I expect to get that service.
    As you said as long as the parents are happy then that's fine. It's your business and you make the rules
    If you are paying for a service then you expect to get that service , within the contracted terms

Parents sign a contract and agree to terms clearly set out , if they dont like the terms they dont sign

I tell parents all my holidays in Jan for the whole year , most parents book the same weeks as me , you cant have parents saying they dont need you here there and everywhere and expecting not to pay you while they go off on holidays
    there has to be a limit

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, basically as you have said you tell them your holiday dates and if they then decide to go away at the same time then at least they're not looking for alternative care
    Parents can take as much time off as they want, prefer to have a bit of notice for planning, but as long as they still pay that fine with me
    Mandy xx

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I take 4 weeks unpaid

Full pay for parent/child holiday if not taking in my holiday

june 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good dec11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all!

Iv have my parents choices so they can't moan!
    2 weeks for them half fee - 2 weeks for me half fee

2 weeks for them full fee - 2 weeks for me no fee

2 weeks for them no fee - 2 weeks for me full fee!

4 week notice,
    All fees outisde these 2 weeks full fee

Bank hols free and I will take other days unpaid with notice.
    Can't argue with that!

Post Thanks / Like

Both side 4weeks holiday, full fee for them, half fee if I'm off. They get paid to go on annual leave why can't I. They have the choice to take same time as me off if they wish.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I take 2 weeks paid per year and the parents can take as much paid time off as they like
    Debbie

Post Thanks / Like

It's one of those things your business your rules. If I take more than 4 weeks then I don't charge. I do my best to find another childminder whenever I'm not available.

sept 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Its very hard deciding whats right but its your business and you do what suits you i guess.

I charge half for mine and the same for theirs..however my parents tend to take a LOT of holiday. One family who just take more chnaged what they were willing to pay me a while back. I politely showed them (as highlight in my diary) their 8 weeks holiday and my 20 odd days off. The others are ok BUT have started realising that i get paid more in the hols so they will take that time off! I 'should' say it's 4 weeks for both parties at half fee and anything else over is full for them and half for me..does anyone else do this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast