tax credits fraud
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default tax credits fraud

Hi sorry if this is not in the best place but I'm sure someone could point me in the right direction'.
    To cut a long story short I had an enquiry and showed a lady around a few weeks ago now I feel really horrid for what I'm about to say so please don't be too mean but she wasn't the best presented and was a little well, rough looking :-( anyway I had a call yesterday about how she wanted her ds to start with me for 50 hours a week and said she needs my number to change for tax credits so I did the information pack and printed all contracts to be signed she picked them up and asked to read through and drop them back in today. Well she now tells me ds is going to stay with a friend instead :-( now at the risk of being very judgemental I think she only wanted to "sign up" to claim childcare costs and never had any intention of using me. What do I do? Will I be in trouble if she claims and I don't declare it in my self assessment form, will tax credit even check her child comes here? Note to self in future refuse to give out number until contract signed and back another newbie mistake *feeling like crap*

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing you can do is phone tax credits and let them know the child wont be starting with you.

Do you not sit and go through the paperwork with parents? The contract doesnt leave me house till its signed.

As you say lesson learned. Dont worry too much, people can find our ofsted numbers if they try hard enough.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Firstly, stop beating yourself up woman

Quote Originally Posted by Essbops View Post
    Will I be in trouble if she claims and I don't declare it in my self assessment form
    No. It's the parent that claims tax credits, not you.

Will tax credit even check her child comes here?
    Quite possibly. Tax credits seem to be checking the validity of new claims and claims that are being changed due to new circumstances at he moment (which is a good thing in my book)

Note to self in future refuse to give out number until contract signed
    This isn't such a bad thing, I don't give out my number until a client has signed AND paid a deposit.
    There's a post elsewhere about fraudulent claims, and the point was made that should someone be hell bent on doing such a thing they can access anyone's EY number via the ofsted website anyway, and there's nothing we can do about that, which is very true

What do I do?
    Personally, I don't like to make it easy for fraudulent claims to 'use' me, so I would be 'arranging to pick up my unsigned contract asap as they no longer have any use for it' It is after all your property until it is returned to you and signed.
    Having a contract to show TC's does 'validate' to some extent a legitimate claim to TC's (They don't always contact us if there's a contract shown as 'proof')

You can also contact tax credits fraud helpline and inform them - what they do with the information is up to them, but you'll feel a bit better knowing you've let them know
    Make a report detailing what has happened - parents name and contact details, when they collected your pack, a copy of the text that was sent etc (it's all evidence) and make a note of the time you called TC's and what was said.
    Should you be contacted in the future, you will be able to back up what you told them, and when, and that's as much as you can do I'm afraid.

Don't let it get you down though, you haven't done anything wrong

4. Likes Bob liked this post
    aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

In 8 years Ive only ever been phoned by tax credits twice to enquire about a child in my care , strangely they were both polish families which makes me think that they are scrutinising claims from non British families more closely for some reason

Anyway , one was claiming there child was still coming to me when they had left a year earlier and the other was a completely genuine claim

The problem is , its too easy to claim fraudulently , there are minimal checks and they seem quite random

You wont get into trouble if a parent is claiming their child is with you when they are not as there is no way of us knowing who is claiming against out OFSTED number , so dont worry

If you want to call them and just make it clear this child is not with you then you should do that

As for giving out your OFSTED number and letting them take contracts home , I dont see a problem with that , after all anyone can go on the website and get your OFSTED number , its not exactly secret is it ? so dont feel like you have been naive because you havnt

I have had parents sign contracts and even pay a deposit , only to never start , so it does make you wonder what they are up to

If tax credits were more vigilant , then the government would save a fortune

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I also have only ever had one call and that was back in 2006 and was a young single mum with two children going back to work.

I have done letters several times for parents though but usually thats for housing benefit

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys feel a bit better about it now I just keep making these silly mistakes at least I'm learning from them :-)

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I give them my registration number so they can read my Ofsted inspection report - I think people claiming tax credits should have to send in receipts from their childminders, tax credits should send us a letter saying "this person is claiming X amount of money for childcare, is that correct" and on the form there should be a section we keep that we send to them when child leaves. One of my parents has to prove how much she spends on childcare every couple of months to be able to claim her housing benefit, this is how it should be for tax credits.

9. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    june 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good dec11
    Post Thanks / Like

You learn from your mistakes! Don't lose sleep over it! But I agree I wouldn't like someone using my number! I don't give out my number til deposits have been paid! Bit like you - I learnt from my mistakes xx

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys feel a bit better about it now I just keep making these silly mistakes at least I'm learning from them :-)
    You didnt make a mistake , dont let others make you think that you did

Anyone can go on the OFSTED site and get your number

12. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I give them my registration number so they can read my Ofsted inspection report - I think people claiming tax credits should have to send in receipts from their childminders, tax credits should send us a letter saying "this person is claiming X amount of money for childcare, is that correct" and on the form there should be a section we keep that we send to them when child leaves. One of my parents has to prove how much she spends on childcare every couple of months to be able to claim her housing benefit, this is how it should be for tax credits.
    Simples

That would be far too sensible an idea for our government to ever think of

14. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It is the parents responsibility and not yours so no responsbility on your behalf.

I would say that for the last 6 people claiming TC for the first time, the tax office called me about all 6 to confirm the information and figures
    Debbie

Post Thanks / Like

Awww your all so nice I feel much better now thanks tell you its a shock to the system all this self employed and nightmare parents hassle what was I thinking lol

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had something similar with a parent, she had left me owing me a lot of money. I was told by a mutual friend that the mum of the child i cared for had been bragging about still getting tax credits so I rang tax credits to let them know that I was no longer providing care for this family as I thought it might come back and bite me on th bum.

I was told that really it is the families responsibility to tell them about any changes so I didnt need to worry about doing that. I was also told that families have up too 1 month after their circumstances change to tell them of any changes.

So in your case i wouldnt worry at all, if mum falsely claims it will be her that will have a huge repayment next year.