Do you charge a minimum number of hours? School age child.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you charge a minimum number of hours? School age child.

I had a call today, care wanted for a school age child. Its very short hours, 8 am - drop off to school at 8.50am. Then pick up at 3.35pm - 4pm.
    I have a new child starting next week who attends the same school so I will be collecting/dropping off there anyway four days a week. I will be dropping off/collecting this child only one day per week.
    As it's such short hours, I don't know what to charge. I usually charge £4 p/h for school age children including meals (although I have been told that i'm very cheap so may be looking at that soon). I don't 'need' the extra work - although it all comes in handy so don't want to feel that im working for 'nothing'.
    What would you charge?

Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge a min of 2 hours afterschool just to make it worth my while doing it and at least 1 hour in the morning. I charge 50p more a hour for school children than I do Pre school.

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I charge a min of 2 hours afterschool just to make it worth my while doing it and at least 1 hour in the morning. I charge 50p more a hour for school children than I do Pre school.
    I do similar, day rate is £3.50 ph, after school £4 ph min of £8 per evening, morning min £5. To me it has to be enough to be worth the hassle, especially as they are term time only so I don't get any money in the holiday.

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

i'm choosing not to do schoolies at the minute.

Last year i charged £3.50 per hour, one child only came an hour a day (although didnt need a meal). But i have decided if i do afterschool again i shall do the same as another local minder and charge £10 a session.

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do a minimum of 10 pounds for afterschool.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge a minimum of 1hr before school and 2hrs after school.
    Toothfairy

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i'd be happy with a min. hour in the morning and a min. hour after school. £5/hour. That's cos I like my early finishes x
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

On two occasions I have taken 3 under 3's out in the rain and cold to pick up one after-schooler to be told that he isn't even at school and mum hadn't let me know - for £3!

Therefore I now charge a pick up fee of £2 in addition to my hourly rate, so the first hour is £6 and £4 an hour after that. I think this is fair to parents who only need care for a short time but ensures I don't feel I am working for nothing.

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi ,
    I have a minimum charge of £5 per session, as some parents only need me for half an hour in the morning, whereas I am available from 7.30am and I count the time until 9am which is the earliest I can guarantee to be home by. My normal hourly rate is £3.75.

Same after school: provide a snack and drinks, as well as resources specifically for the older children so it needs to be worth my while. I charge £3.75 an hour in half hourly blocks, but £5 minimum for the 'session'. Also, one mindee only comes 3 days a week before school and for only 45 minutes to an hour after school, so I charge £5 an hour for him as I could earn more money from filling his space with a child needing the extra hour and every weekday. I explained to Mum and she understood.

Its up to you so really have a think about what you will be happy with to make it worthwhile, then put your business woman hat on and be (cheerfully ) firm . Good luck!