Help needed on how to charge for this request.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help needed on how to charge for this request.

Hello All, Got this query today. How would you charge for this? Any suggestions welcome. It looks like one week on, one week off. If I charge half fee for the off week what do i do about the unused days in the week?
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..
    I'm looking for a childminder to look after my son part time from June, when he will be aged one, on the following days: Weds, Fri, Mon, Tues, then a week's break, and back to Weds, Fri, Monday, Tuesday eg: Weds June 5, Fri June 7, Monday June 10, Tuesday June 11, (a week's break) Weds June 19, Fri June 21, Mon June 24, Tues June 25, etc.
    > Are you able to accommodate these days? Essentially it will be two days a week for two consecutive weeks, followed by a week when no childcare is needed.
    > If need be I can be flexible with changing the Fr*****care to a Thursday.

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm on closer inspection if looks like

WK1 Wed, Fri
    Wk2 Mon, Tue
    Wk3 nothing

In this case I would charge all 4 days. I'm pretty busy and get lots of enquiries though so i wouldn't be happy to block so many days for such little money. At a push I'd charge half for the rota days off but you have to be strict about holiday fees/ sick fees and swapping days as with my experience with this sort of contract, they push their luck.

3. Likes blue bear liked this post
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW

So they only need care 4 days out of 12 and I bet that's all they want to pay for as well Good luck parent in your search

You will have to save Mon, Tue, Wed & Friday every week if you accepted them. And its highly likely you wont be able to fill the spaces when they arn't attending.

I don't think I would do it because they will only be attending for a third of the year all told.

Generally I would charge 50% for folk who dont attend during school holidays (teachers etc...) as a retainer, but that means I only loose 50% for 14 weeks and its a nice break, but if you were to implement 50% retainer you would loose out far more, could you afford it?

Like Minstrel says, I agree I would have to charge for all 4 days every week, I couldn't afford not to.

Good luck negotiating this one

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    If I really didn't mind, I'd Just charge the days specified (make sure they are detailed very clearly on the contract) but at a higher rate per hour i.e. my 'normal' rate is £3.75 but my 'ad hoc' rate is £5, so I'd probably charge that. But in that case I would explain that if my circumstances changed and I needed to fill the space I would then have to offer the option of paying full 'normal' price for the 4 days or give notice.

However, I don't think many childminders will be offering to take them on and just charge what they need, so maybe, if you can afford it, charge full price for the 2 days needed for the weeks 1 and 2 and a retainer rate (you set this, it doesn't have to be 50%) for the 2 saved days in weeks 1 and 2 and the 4 saved days in week 3..

Really it comes down to you and what you need to earn from that place, whether you are likely to fill it, or if you would be better getting something than nothing, how else it would affect you: would it stop you taking on the next full time enquiry you get?... etc

Good luck, hope it works out for all involved

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i would charge a min of 4 days. its' fine now but what if someone else comes looking for those days later and you have them blocked out - at no pay - for this parent
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to say to parents that they'd have to pay for the full 4 days. Otherwise you could b loosing a lot of money. I personally wouldn't do it unless they paid full but its your choice do these hours work for you with your current children and could you easily fill the spaces around this child.

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had a good think about this.
    First thing i would do is take her up on her offer to swap the Friday for thursday. So wed, thurs, mon, tues. I think its easier for a child to settle if their care if on consecutive days.. Besides which i try to keep Friday as my day off!!!!

As far as charging is concerned I think i would have to agree that I would charge a full fee for 2 days a week every week but at an advanced rate of £5. She is still getting a good deal really because its not the same days each week. So really should charge for all 4 days.

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like to be too full and have taken on shift workers before and only charged for the hours that they need. But, at the very least, I would insist that they pay for 2 days during the week that they don't need childcare. I would also charge a slightly higher hourly rate. If you want to be full every day of the week then it is probably not worth your while taking this enquiry as it doesn't sound like the parents will want to pay for 4 days every week.

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I dont like being 100% full all day everyday so I have in the past not charged as much as I maybe could or should do for shift workers. I would maybe suggest they pay three days a week normal fees evry week and see what they say.

Jan 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help Needed onn How to Charge for this request

Dear All

Thanks for your suggestions. You're also helpful in highlighting different scenarios that could arise. Makes one realise how deep you need to think when the out of the ordinary request present themselves. On your advise I think I will charge for the 4 days as it may not be easy to fill around the days she is not using plus it would most probably be a small possiblity of finding another parent looking for the days she isn't using in the same pattern.

If she doesn't want to pay this way then I wont take on baby. (and yes I would take up her offer of ommitting Friday) At the moment I don't have any Friday care and love the early long week-ends.

Thanks again to you all.