Registered Childminder since
    May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fees overdue for the last two weeks

I received this email on 28/01 (edited name of child out):

"Hi katrina

I am really sorry to have to do this again but unfortunately I am unable to send **** to you this week, again I have no car and I can't afford a taxi and I am struggling to find the money to pay you. Next week I am on holiday so **** wouldnt be with you, I know I still have to pay you even though **** doesn't attend so could I possibly pay you in bits for the next two weeks."

I was very sympathetic and agreed to be paid "in bits" over the two weeks. I have received no payments. I left it thinking perhaps they would pay me when the child came back today, however I got a text this morning saying he is sick but payment would be sent by bank transfer.

I have checked my account and payment for today has gone in but nothing else.

How should I approach this? I am owed £100 for the previous two weeks.

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear
    You know it's not going to happen, if they were going to pay you, they would have paid -like they said.

It sounds like they can't pay and can't face you and this is why the child hasn't come, he maybe a bit under the weather but the embarrassment is probably more of a factor.

Get things out in the open - ask what is going on and where the £100 payment is - be firm and fair - they may appreciate this. If you don't address it be prepared to loose the money and don't be too soft regards payment for future care. Some people will just take, take, take and they will take more if you make it easier for them.

Sorry if I sound harsh, it's in our nature to bend over backwards and help out but bills need to be paid!!