Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default parent wanting p/t care from sept help!

Just had a phone call from a parent who is due her baby may. She wants childcare from sept for 3 days a week. Term time only...she doesnt know what days yet. I said i was just picking up my son from.school but will phone her.to organise us meeting and chatting.

So....what the hell am i gonna do. I lose a full time lil one sept when she goes school. My rate is £3.50 per hour.....sept is so far away she could change her mind and im not sure about the not knowing which days... Am a bit lost....am going to be taking an assistant on for mon tue and wed in the next.couple of months....oh i dont know what to say when she.comes to meet me and find out fees etc

dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh and she only wants 9-3

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You can not charge a retainer if you do not have the space already. And a deposit is advised for no longer than 12 wks in advance (small print on NCMA contracts). So, I would be honest, tell her your fees, tell her all about your service as you usually would, show her around. Then say as it is so far in the future you will be in touch in late May to talk about specific days and your availability for Sept, with a view to signing contracts with a deposit equal to 4-weeks fees (or whatever you usually do) in mid June to secure the place for Sept. Between now and May you may find a better client, or not, or she might change her mind but until you get to May/June there is not much else you can do.

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with moggy x

dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I didnt think there was much i could do. Thank u.

Im insured with MM not ncma x

mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I also would go with the given advice, tell her straight that it is to far in advance to be able to give specifics.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

well just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons. I have done this before. In Jan 2010, I signed contracts for a September start that year. I took a deposit of 1 months fees to be offset against 1st months fees on starting or non-refundable if they didn't start.

Baby visited with mum monthly from Jan-September. Worked out fine for me. It was nice knowing I was sorted out so early with a child leaving in September.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

8. Likes sharonmanc, FussyElmo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    well just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons. I have done this before. In Jan 2010, I signed contracts for a September start that year. I took a deposit of 1 months fees to be offset against 1st months fees on starting or non-refundable if they didn't start.

Baby visited with mum monthly from Jan-September. Worked out fine for me. It was nice knowing I was sorted out so early with a child leaving in September.
    I did in sept 2006 guaranteed a mum a place for sept 2007.

The only difference didnt tale a deposit - mum visited quite often so lo was known to me. Its mindee birthday next week and mindee is still with me
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just negotiated a place for September this year. I can completely understand why some parents want to get organised so early. However I haven't completed a contract as yet. My space is not available until September and what I normally do in this situation is tell them I will let them know if someone else approaches me for the space. Then it will be necessary for them to pay a deposit and sign a contract. This works for me.

11. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do the same as Manjay. I dont usually have a space so dont take a deposit/ retainer. I will sign contract closer to the start date.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

in september 2011 i agreed a space for january 2013 !!!!

Mar 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I've now had enquiries for Sept from 2 families (both with 2 children),as I have 2 children leaving between now & Easter I have told them that I would like to fill the place earlier than Sept. Both could potentially start earlier as they currently use nursery. However if I knew I would be full in Sept I think I could quite enjoy having a few months of reduced minding - I could get on with my level 3 & help my husband in his business any hours where I have no mindees!!

For someone wanting to secure a Sept start now I would certainly want to take a deposit now, non-refundable if they did not take up the space. Otherwise I would be turning down other work and could end up with vacancies in Sept.