Sooo annoyed need help by 4.30pm today please!!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  38
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sooo annoyed need help by 4.30pm today please!!!

Right so cutting very long story short, Ive been minding this child for 2.5 years, everything has been fine, however over the last 5 or so month the parent is late at paying and pays what she wants. She has split up with her partner so is obviously struggling with money. I have already reduced her hourly rate from £4 to £3.
    Before Christmas she owed me £300 ( some from the previous month) I went to pick the child up and the mum was nearly in tears saying she cant afford Christmas presents etc so i felt guilty and said just pay me what u can then pay the rest after Christmas as i had two week off on holiday so it shouldn't amount to that much.
    Anyway Payday was yesteday, which i reminded her about and told her the fee total (£296), she said ok ill put it in later... she didnt, so i text her 15 min before i was meant to pick her child up, she said sorry ill put it in now. So i went to pick the child up, nothing was said as she was in a rush. I got home and checked my bank. She has put £200 in, so i text her saying thank you but the total was £296 ive had no text back, I pick her child up from school and she picks her up from me at half 4 and i really dont know what to say to her. please help!

This happens every month now, ive asked if she can pay weekly and she cant as child tax pay monthly, (she pays in arrears) she never puts it in on the day usually takes 3-5 days and its NEVER the full amount. I am sick of chasing and begging her to put my money is it stresses me out for the rest of the day!
    Also she told me she was picking her child up at half 5 yesterday (an extra £3) as she is going to look at cars as she has just passed her driving test!!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh golly - I have been there and got the T-shirt! After 3 years I gave up and ended the contract - I found my life was becoming centered around when, whether and how much I would get paid and really lifes too short! Replace this family with one who will pay - after all, this mother is having most of your bill paid for by tax credits - her financial troubles are NOT yours!!!

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What a nightmare for you, you sound like you've been really understanding. But your going to have to get tough I would say give her 5 days to pay the rest of the amount in full or you will serve notice to end contract immediately and I would also state that future payments must be made in full and on time or late fee's will apply (mines £5 per day) and notice to end. Hope you can sort it out, you don't deserve to get messed around and people will take advantage if you let them.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So you have reduced your fees by 25% for this parent and she cant pay on you time.

Ok bluntly here she is taking the proverbial here.

She cant pay her childcare but is going to look at a car and you are looking after her child extra so she can do it. probably wont get pay for it on time neither.

Simple tell her you have bent over backwards being nice with her money issues, however seeing as she is buying a car she has resolved them. You will be charging the late fee and putting your fees back up too.

Its too your credit that you have tried to be nice BUT now you need to get strict and get your money
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

firstly...why have you reduced your hourly rate...!!! you are running a buisness not a charity.
    Your payments should be her priority ,not the new car ,or driving lessons,(which cost considerably more than £3 per hour).
    Its not your fault that she cant budget her money.I would tell her that you require full payment up to date by the xth of jan and then payments in advance or no childcare.If she cant afford to pay now how will she manage when she has a car to run,i dont think the garage will reduce the petrol by £1 a gallon so that she can afford nice things .You will have to get tough,this one is taking you for a ride and it will only get worse now that she has worked out that you are nice xxx good luck

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    sorry you're having this trouble. No doubt this lady is having money troubles, but not paying the childminder is not a solution . Unfortunately I think its a case of you having done her a favour she now thinks you are soft and will let her get away with putting your bill at the bottom of the pile.

I would avoid recriminations if possible and just say due to not paying fees in full or on time you are having to introduce a policy of no childcare until all is paid. starting tomorrow. Contracted hours will still be payable even if child cannot attend because of the parents' non payment of fees. I'd have this typed /printed out (2 copies) and add a bit at the end for her to sign (on both sheets) with "I have read and understood this policy/ammendment to our contract (whichever you decide), which comes into effect 17th january 2013" etc...

If she gets funny, remind her she is paying in arrears and only 75% of what she should be paying so you feel you have done all you can for her, more than most, more than you can really afford and she is taking advantage at this point, by not making sure you are paid in full and on time. You have bills to pay and a family to feed too.
    You have done her some huge favours which have resulted in you being out of pocket and stressed out every month. All you can do is stop now and carry on the way you mean to in the future

Good luck, let us know how you get on

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

i know have done for a while but ive always thought well at least she is paying something and something it better than nothing, but its not worth the stress. My partner has just returned back to work for after 3 months off sick thank you for the advise think its time to get tough ive got butterflies eek!!

Sept 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a problem like this a few years ago. Parents had separated and LO was living with Mum for a few months, then Dad etc. Felt for them all and their situation, however, then payments started coming later and later, then not at all! I was promised time and again and then would get some of what they owed. I was getting more and more frustrated as Childcare Tax Credit was going into their bank and they were using the money to buy oil and not paying their childcare bill. They ended up owing £1,000. The next day they turned up with the LO and I explained in the nicest way.... I could no longer accept the child until I'd received full payment! I felt awful for the LO who looked sad she couldn't come, but proud I'd stood up for myself. I didn't see them for a month, and suddenly they turned up one lunchtime with the £1,000 in cash. The child started coming again the next day and payments were never late again. Don't let it mount up to £1,000 before you act. Be assertive!

9. Likes linzi66 liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

good advice above hon. Get her onside with you. She needs to understand that because she is not paying you, your kids are going without and that you need to earn money too.

Tell her you've given her a discount, been very understanding but you can't continue. From now, no payment, no care until fees up to date.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

11. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

we're all here (in spirit ) behind you .get your buisness head on ,you are a proffesional x you can do this

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by linzi66 View Post
    i know have done for a while but ive always thought well at least she is paying something and something it better than nothing, but its not worth the stress. My partner has just returned back to work for after 3 months off sick thank you for the advise think its time to get tough ive got butterflies eek!!
    The fact that you dreading it shows you are a nice person but you know what you have to do. I bet its not been easy for you with you partner not working.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

god i love this forum!!! so grateful for your responces thank you all, i will post the outcome later xx

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by linzi66 View Post
    Right so cutting very long story short, Ive been minding this child for 2.5 years, everything has been fine, however over the last 5 or so month the parent is late at paying and pays what she wants. She has split up with her partner so is obviously struggling with money. I have already reduced her hourly rate from £4 to £3.
    Before Christmas she owed me £300 ( some from the previous month) I went to pick the child up and the mum was nearly in tears saying she cant afford Christmas presents etc so i felt guilty and said just pay me what u can then pay the rest after Christmas as i had two week off on holiday so it shouldn't amount to that much.
    Anyway Payday was yesteday, which i reminded her about and told her the fee total (£296), she said ok ill put it in later... she didnt, so i text her 15 min before i was meant to pick her child up, she said sorry ill put it in now. So i went to pick the child up, nothing was said as she was in a rush. I got home and checked my bank. She has put £200 in, so i text her saying thank you but the total was £296 ive had no text back, I pick her child up from school and she picks her up from me at half 4 and i really dont know what to say to her. please help!

This happens every month now, ive asked if she can pay weekly and she cant as child tax pay monthly, (she pays in arrears) she never puts it in on the day usually takes 3-5 days and its NEVER the full amount. I am sick of chasing and begging her to put my money is it stresses me out for the rest of the day!
    Also she told me she was picking her child up at half 5 yesterday (an extra £3) as she is going to look at cars as she has just passed her driving test!!!
    That last sentence did it for me....not only adding to her debt by being late but looking at expensive cars (I don't mean a Ferrari but any car is expensive if you have no money!). What did she think you were going to say....."oh yes, a car, wonderful, can I have the first ride"! But I think she may be taking you for a ride. Unfortunately, a parent paying in arrears always has the upper hand; if you give them an inch, they will take a mile (in their new car)
    I bet her driving instructor wouldn't have taken her out for a lesson if she hadn't paid yet some parents think they can mess childminders around! We are looking after your precious children after all!
    Last edited by Rick; 16-01-2013 at 01:56 PM.

16. Likes linzi66 liked this post
    Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

brushing my big hairy balls for an express delivery to your door..will be with you before 4:30pm..

wear them with pride....they will help i promise

love wibble xxxx
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WibbleWobble View Post
    brushing my big hairy balls for an express delivery to your door..will be with you before 4:30pm..

love wibble xxxx
    I bet I never hear that first sentence again in my life!

19. Likes silvermist liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WibbleWobble View Post

love wibble xxxx
    Haha!!! Cheers xx

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OMG i just had a vision of that actually happening ...ahhhh cant get it out of my head.its a bit disturbing

22. Likes silvermist liked this post
    jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dette View Post
    OMG i just had a vision of that actually happening ...ahhhh cant get it out of my head.its a bit disturbing
    not the late payment sorry ...the ball brushing

24. Likes silvermist liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with all that has been said so far. She is taking you for a ride that's why she won't talk much or pretends to be in a hurry. Just write everything down in a letter this PM and hand it to her with a smile
    You need to get tough and next time don't ever feel sorry for anyone. It's not your problem if they can't afford things.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

She does this because you have let her get away with it and no bad feeling on your part. Be blunt tell that it is not going to happen any more. She is not that hard up if she can now afford to run a car

Do yourself a favor and go back on the list and start a new mindee who pays the going rate and on time
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast