Thread: hourly rate

Registered Childminder since
    sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default hourly rate

Hi all
    I live in the north west and was wondering do you charge a day rate or hourly rate if a day rate is this based on an 8 hour day or longer. I normally charge a day rate and for 10.5 hours a day my hourly rate works out at 3.14 my DH says I should charge a day rate based on an 8 hour day then maybe a reduced rate of 2.50 for every hour after that does that sound unreasonable. I wouldn't charge my existing parents this but thinking if I get knew parents but I'm just not sure if this is the right thing to do.
    Your opinions will be gratefully appreciated x

OCT 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm down in Hampshire and charge £4.20 per hour for hours within 8.00-18.00 I would charge higher for earlier or later

Allie

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that if you charge a day rate, it should be for a reasonable length of day - eight hours is the length of a standard office working day with only half an hour lunch, so someone working traditional hours would always find themselves needing to top the hours up to take into account longer lunches, overtime and commuting.

I've a day rate and an hourly rate in mind but to be honest, have quoted almost every parent differently depending on what they were looking for.
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

jul 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I also charge a day rate based on a 10hr day (7.30-5.30), as well as an hourly rate if required. But I charge a higher rate for hrs outside of my usual working hrs x

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I find I can't do fixed rates cos families round here need such different arrangements and all have different circumstances. I just have to negotiate each contract individually.

However, I'm aware this could cause problems if I'm ever asked to offer funded places. So I may have to figure out some nominal schedules of fees for admin purposes.

May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiya,
    I'm in the north west too.
    I have a set of standard rates that I use, and then use these to accommodate parent's individual requirements.

Standard Fees:
    Full Week - Monday-Friday 7.30am-5.30pm - £140
    Single Day - 7.30am-5.30pm - £32
    Morning Session - 7.30am-12.30pm - £18
    Afternoon Session - 1pm-5.30pm - £16
    Before School - 7.30am-9am including school drop-off - £5
    After School - 3pm-5.30pm including school pick-up - £9
    Wraparound Care - Before & After School care - £12.50
    Additional Single Hour - During opening times (by prior arrangement) - £3.75

It means that the more hours a parent takes up, the more the discounted rate they receive. So for a full week, the hourly rate works out at £2.80, in comparison with my standard hourly rate of £3.75.

So, if a parent needed the hours 7.30am to 1.30pm, I would charge £21.75 (£18 morning session + 1 additional hour at £3.75)
    Or say from 8am-3pm I might do £25.50 (£18 am session shifted by 1/2 an hour, plus 2 additional hours £7.50)

I'm about average priced in my area. Hope that helps and gives you some ideas.
    Last edited by LittleLadybirds; 03-01-2013 at 09:11 PM.