Charge for when mindee at preschool?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Charge for when mindee at preschool?

Hi I have just been advised that the child I currently mind will be going to preschool on one of the mornings I normally have her. It will be a case of collecting her from mum at 8.45am and then dropping her off at preschool (along with my daughter) at 9.15am until 1145am and then having her the rest of the day. I am concerned as this will mean £50 less each month and I wont be able to fill such a small timeslot with another child - so should I charge for this time? Also if so, how should I approach this with the parents?

thanks in advance

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd charge the whole day, as you say, you can't fill that slot so she's taking the space of a child who could come all day

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would charge a full fee.....

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou. So would I say that I am available to collect the mindee early if poorly or have her if the preschool is closed etc? I'm just wondering how I will approach this !

oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thelongfamily View Post
    Thankyou. So would I say that I am available to collect the mindee early if poorly or have her if the preschool is closed etc? I'm just wondering how I will approach this !
    I did this once and I charged for the whole session as I was responsible for the child whilst at pre school ie collecting or having them if pre school was closed or to collect if LO was ill although I would then have called mom when I got them home if they were too ill to stay with me as per normal exclusion policy.

Post Thanks / Like

I also charge full fee if I am dropping off and collecting, I couldn't fill the few hours in between, plus if the Nursery closes in line with school holidays will parent need you to have the child all day?

I will collect if Nursery closed unexpectedly, but not if a child was taken ill, unless I could get to them before the parent and then only if the parent was on their way - I wouldn't collect an ill child and keep them at mine until the end of the day, its not fair on the other children in my care - if they are too unwell to be at nursery they are too unwell to be at mine!

Also, if the child is 3 the parent will not be paying for nursery as they will be entitled to their free hours, so it won't cost the parent any more for them to go to nursery and still pay you!!

7. Likes k1rstie liked this post
    Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If I am dropping off and collecting I charge full fee.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thelongfamily View Post
    Hi I have just been advised that the child I currently mind will be going to preschool on one of the mornings I normally have her. It will be a case of collecting her from mum at 8.45am and then dropping her off at preschool (along with my daughter) at 9.15am until 1145am and then having her the rest of the day. I am concerned as this will mean £50 less each month and I wont be able to fill such a small timeslot with another child - so should I charge for this time? Also if so, how should I approach this with the parents?

thanks in advance
    I'd consider this to represent a significant change to the current arrangement, and therefore requiring an immediate contract review.

That gives you the opportunity to discuss the whole package with the parents. After all, you'll need permissions to drop/collect, and other arrangements to agree around the preschool, partnership working, information sharing, etc. So address the whole thing rather than just the fees. In fact, you may have to consider whether it's even practical. I know some CMs who wouldn't do it and would give notice - cos the constant back-and-forth disrupts their other lo's routines,makes toddler groups/trips impossible, etc. OTOH it can lead to more business, as you get known at the preschool gate. Doing the whole thing together as a full review should make it easier to approach the parents. It shows you're being professional and looking at the whole new situation for the child, rather than it looking like you're only concerned about the financial arrangement.

You're certainly within your rights to request payment for the time lo is at preschool, as it's not a slot you can easily fill. Discuss with the parents. Some see the logic, others may think they're paying the CM to do nothing. The affordability for the parents may depend on whether they are being funded or paying for preschool as well as your fee. We CMs can discuss all we like about what's fair, but if mum and dad can't/won't pay, then we accommodate or lose the contract.

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone - you've all been a huge help