Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Picking up & Dropping off at Child's Home

How usual is this request?
    If so, for a before and after school child what do other people do? Do you slightly increase your fees to cover the time involved and quote that? Specify you add 'X' amount for the journey time on top of the fee? My support CM suggested adding the equivalent of an hour's fees to the hours required.
    Any help would be appreciated!

oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have done this for one child in the past- she didn't live very far from me, I added on about half an hour fees for the journey time involved. It was ok for a while but then Mom started to be late home and I was having to wait in the car for a further 10 mins so I stopped it.

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do this for a family, the mum recently had a new baby and now has a dislocated pelvis, she also has a nearly 2 year old and a five year old, i know her normal childminder from the playground but she hasnt got a big enough car to collect and drop him at home. I charge 10.00 each time i collect him and take him to school (in my care approximately 40min) and 10.00 each time i collect him from school and drop him home (about an hour in my care), she pays me via childcare vouchers. Im happy to do this, the only time im not so happy about is a couple of times she has asked me to get the nearly 2 year old at the same time and drop her with the childminder in the playground, i dont charge her anything for this, she is lovely and never have any problems with her and it has only been a couple of times but if it becomes more frequent i will charge. Also got days in the half term when im dropping and picking him to/from school club xx
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Remember if you are being paid for the journey then you are technically acting as a taxi service and might need different insurance.

However, if you are being paid for your time then charge whatever you think is fair.

i used to do it some time ago but found I spend too long sitting in the car waiting for the child to be ready or sometimes even having to go in the house and get the child almost out of bed!! So that didn't last

I hope it works out for you

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I do this for one LO and don't charge extra-purely because we have to leave at 8:30 am on the dot and mum would stroll round the corner at 8:40+ no matter how many times I told her to be on time (and i'm too much of a wimp to just go anyway and leave them) and we drive straight past there house anyway.

If it was out of my way i'd prob charge for half an hour.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was requested to do this once for a 15 minute drive either way. I said no as it would affect my family too much. Needless to say Mum didn't sign up with me and went with someone in her village. I have just signed up a lo that I will collect on my way to school. I walk right passed his door and so it seemed silly for him to need to be dropped off at mine 20 minutes earlier for me to walk back passed with him. I will give parents the term dates so they know when I will not be walking passed. I'm hoping it works for us both. I will not be charging any different as it is the same hours and i won't be driving - it's just convenient.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i have picked up and dropped of IF convienent to me/we are going past the door/on our way and i need to be early or we are late back etc

i had a funded child who i collected & dropped off, for one day a week, and the LA paid my mileage as part of the funding. it was only for one term, but i did find it constricting knowing i had to fit it into my day!