Care to learn fees
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Reg Jan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Care to learn fees

I have a set of parents visiting next week. Wanting to pay via care to learn. I have done some research but don't know much about it. Is it ok to put my usual hourly rate up to include food etc and to cover hols etc as I think they pay up to £4.95 an hour. My usual is £3.75 so was thinking of charging £4.75 instead. Would this be allowed? Also do they also pay the retainer for hols or should this be covered in my hourly rate...thanks, any info appreciated if you know anything about care to learn

sept 20
    Post Thanks / Like

I was paid via Care to Learn a few years ago - they paid a retainer during all the holidays. They do state that the hourly rate should be the same as you charge for the other mindees - not sure if they would/could check on this??
    It took a while to set up - lots of paperwork that is passed between parent, setting, school/college (not sure if it's any easier now), but I had no problems once it was all set up.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No you can't put your normal hourly rate up just because CTL may pay more than you charge. You could charge a daily rate which include food.

Last year they paid a max of £160 per week outside grater London and that is the max they will go to.

They do pay a retainer through the holidays but you need to make sure for the long summer holidays you get the forms in plenty of time and they need to be filled in by you and the college. They will pay half fee during holidays.

You will get a monthly sheet to tick and return to confirm the child is still attending, the college do this as well and if it isn't done payment can be late.

You are paid in advance and fro the summer if a retainer is paid it is all paid by the end of June.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I also had care to learn a couple of years ago and it was nothing but trouble, although I think the college was ticking a box wrong. But I did get my money paid, but often 2 weeks late after lots of phone calls by both me and the parent.

In the beginning it took a couple of months to be paid but it came in a lump sum which was great for xmas shopping

I got paid full in the holidays although my parent was on a placement.....in a school

Reg Jan
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok think I may offer a daily rate then, as they will be here from 8-6 & want to offer food etc & also cover myself if they pick up late etc.

Cheers for info

aug 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a parent use care to learn a few years and i found once initial paperwork was done everything was fine

Aug 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Care to Learn pay me full fees during the holidays.

Reg Jan
    Post Thanks / Like

How come it varies so much? Is it just what you put on the forms

Aug 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can put what you want on their forms, up to their maximums.

Reg Jan
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you charge a registration fee? & also someone else told me I could charge for a full week rather than just the 2 days she is coming to me as she is 6 months old & taking up a valuable space & may not fill the other days??? What are your thoughts

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Goodness me, no way would I charge more than I was charging the parent just cos its paid by the government. In my 7 years of minding I have only ever had one full time child the rest have been made up of part timers. If the course is only a couple of days they would know you had fibbed on the forms and could get yourself into terrible trouble.

Just charge what you would if it was a parent paying

Reg Jan
    Post Thanks / Like

The lady that told me is a bit of a money grabber TBH but made me feel a fool not getting everything I could get..I am just going to do what I normally would. I often reduce fees etc to attract parents at least this way you know you will get your fee

Thanks