securing places for sept 2013!!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default securing places for sept 2013!!!

I have a family coming on thursday to see me regarding two places for sept 2013 (mum is having her second child in dec and is returning to work after nine months) I will have two spaces available as I have two children going to full time school then. They are eager to secure my two vacancies but I have never had to sort a contract out so far in advance. Not sure what sort of deposit to ask for but don't want to leave it open without some sort of contract in place, any advice welcome

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

To be honest, a year is a looooong time to hold a space, as so much can happen in between, either for you or for parents

I would be setting up a waiting list, particularly as the spaces aren't actually available until nearer the time anyway. I would then contact them 3 months before to organise deposits and contracts, and if they've changed their minds, you can go to the next one on the list with plenty of time to advertise if noone wants the space

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with above I have had similar happen then the mums work made her redundant although of course you could then just advertise both spaces again x

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an enquiry on Friday for 2 places required for 2014! It completely threw me as it was 18 months away. A lot can happen during that time, but I can understand that you don't want to turn someone away.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't think you could do any paperwork until the baby is born. I have had a parent wanting a place next sept for before and after school , I have told taken all the details but have told them to contact me nearer the time as I can't hold a space for a year.
    Pixie Dust

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I answered a very similar thread earlier, so here's the cut/paste:-

I wouldn't consider making any arrangement before the birth. Too upsetting all round if something goes wrong. After the birth, do get her round for a visit, just to make sure she actually wants to use you when the time comes.

Retainers can be tricky: long ones especially so. On the one hand, mum can feel she's paying you a lot to do nothing. OTOH, if a CM turns someone else away cos they've taken a retainer, they can end up resenting it: like, "I'm getting half the money I could've for that place."

I have an enquirer who asked me to hold spaces for September 2013, or possibly even as long as 2014, depending on circumstances. But so much can change for me or her before then. We've agreed that we do nothing for now, but if I get another enquiry that would fill the space, then I offer her first refusal and that's when she'd start paying a retainer.