Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Deposits

Registered Childminder since
    July 93
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Deposits

If a child is due to start, say 5 fulls days per week and pays a deposit but then reduces their days down to, say 2 days when they start, what would happen to their deposit? Would you still refund the full amount? some? If the 2 days they wanted didnt suit you and you then decided you couldnt have them, would you return the deposit? some? or none?

Just checking as I can see this happening and I might include some clarification in my contracts to cover myself.

Thanks guys!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

The contract they signed was for 5 full days so if they don't start with the contract, the non-refundable deposit is non-refundable I would have thought. If you choose to take them on for the 2 days, I would offset 2 fifths of the deposit against fees for the first month or last month of care (whatever you had agreed)and keep the deposit for the remaining 3 days not taken up, but if the hours no longer suit due to the significant drop in time, I would say you are entitled to keep the deposit. Whether you choose to is another thing. Often parents don't see things the same as we do and you may find that other people get to hear of the situation which may jeopardise your future business. Wrong, but just the way things can happen I guess.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a very strict Fees Policy now because I had this happen 3 times in quick succession.

I take a four weeks fees Deposit.

It is kept until the end of the Contract and as long as all fees are up to date it covers the four weeks notice period.

If they don't start the full contract they loose their Deposit or if they reduce their days before they start loose that proportion of the Deposit.

If they reduce their days in the first six months of the contract they loose that proportion of the Deposit.

If they leave my care in the first six months they loose their Deposit and have to pay the four weeks Notice.