Thread: Non-payment

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Non-payment

Hi,
    I have got my 1st non-payer. She has tried to pay me late previously but I have gotten round it by offering to collect cash from her or reminding her of late fees. She was due to pay me in the playground on the last day of term. She deliberately (I think) collected her child promptly (extremely unusual for her) whilst I was collecting another child from a different class and left. She had texted whilst in the playground to say she would transfer the money that afternoon. She has never paid by bank transfer before but I have given her my details when similar instances have happened. I have had no communication since. I have sent a couple of texts and I have left voicemail messages but got no response. The reason she is paying in arrears (she usually pays in advance) is because she needed varying hours that week. I'm b**** furious because I kept the child until 8pm the evening before payment was due as she had a problem. Now I'm not due to have the child until September. Our contract shows late fees as £5 a day which I'm happy to charge but obviously I want my money. I am going to knock on her door today but fully expect her to be at work. She gets her childcare funded through her University. I have emailed her giving her 24 hours to pay up or contact me but said I will seek Legal Advice and will contact the University. Where else should I go from here?

Sorry I have waffled forever!!!!

Pipsqueak Guest

I think you need to prepare a letter and put it through her door

do an invoice up of the over due amount - plus late fees

give her 7 days to pay (ensure you note in the letter that you have already given her 7 days from the last day of term) or you will instigate legal proceedings and cancel the contract
    give her the option to pay in installments blah blah

speak to your insurer.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Stop sending text messages, as you can't keep a permanent record of them. Use letters and emails. Keep copies.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Stop sending text messages, as you can't keep a permanent record of them. Use letters and emails. Keep copies.
    NCMA recommend not to use these either. Letters every time and keep copies.

I would if the parents pays ask for a Contract review before her start in Sept and I would give notice that from Sept it will be your Policy to take a 4 weeks fees Deposit which will be held until the end of the contract when, if all fees are paid up to date it will cover the four weeks notice. Also that all fee must be paid in advance and any extra hours when used or late payment fees of xxxx will be added until the payment is made. She will have the summer holidays to save up her Deposit.

If she won't review the contract replace her.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have finally learnt my lesson after two sets of families, taking the absolutely mickey out of me and leaving me short. As Rickysmiths says communicate by letter, state on letter specifically whether delivered by hand or post and if by post deliver by hand or by registered post. Make sure you cover yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdockg View Post
    Hi,
    I have got my 1st non-payer. She has tried to pay me late previously but I have gotten round it by offering to collect cash from her or reminding her of late fees. She was due to pay me in the playground on the last day of term. She deliberately (I think) collected her child promptly (extremely unusual for her) whilst I was collecting another child from a different class and left. She had texted whilst in the playground to say she would transfer the money that afternoon. She has never paid by bank transfer before but I have given her my details when similar instances have happened. I have had no communication since. I have sent a couple of texts and I have left voicemail messages but got no response. The reason she is paying in arrears (she usually pays in advance) is because she needed varying hours that week. I'm b**** furious because I kept the child until 8pm the evening before payment was due as she had a problem. Now I'm not due to have the child until September. Our contract shows late fees as £5 a day which I'm happy to charge but obviously I want my money. I am going to knock on her door today but fully expect her to be at work. She gets her childcare funded through her University. I have emailed her giving her 24 hours to pay up or contact me but said I will seek Legal Advice and will contact the University. Where else should I go from here?

Sorry I have waffled forever!!!!

Dec 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies! Discovered the problem by going round to the address. They have been evicted! Not good. I have emailed and texted as the mobile is still switched on. I have offered to waive the late fees and offered installments but have had no communication. Not having an address is now a problem. Don't know whether child will be coming back to the school in September. Tomorrow I am calling Mum's uni who apparently were funding her childcare fees.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies! Discovered the problem by going round to the address. They have been evicted! Not good. I have emailed and texted as the mobile is still switched on. I have offered to waive the late fees and offered installments but have had no communication. Not having an address is now a problem. Don't know whether child will be coming back to the school in September. Tomorrow I am calling Mum's uni who apparently were funding her childcare fees.
    Oh no

I don't hold much hope now do you?

I hope you get it though,keep us posted

Angel xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, you need to ASAP contact NCMA or your insurer, they will tell you what the next steps are. Don't offer installments or do anything else but call NCMA, I did the offering of installments and they told me never do it unless spoken to them and things are by letter.

Dec 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default non payment

Update to my little problem! Spoke to NCMA legal department who said if I can get an address for Mum they will pursue the debt. Phoned emergency contact who is Mum's sister. She wasn't aware of the situation but said she will try and get her to call me. Phoned Dad yesterday. (Not sure why I hadn't called him before). To my surprise he answered the phoned and said he was unaware of the debt as Mum hadn't told him about it and he was unaware that she was avoiding me. He called me back later in the evening and he said he will try and borrow the money to pay me. He is hoping to drop the money round on his way to work on Friday, so watch this space.

It's scary to discover how much you can find out about somebody over the internet. I am confident I would be able to track her down if I needed to!!!..time for everyone to update the Facebook security controls!

Post Thanks / Like

Update to my little problem! Spoke to NCMA legal department who said if I can get an address for Mum they will pursue the debt. Phoned emergency contact who is Mum's sister. She wasn't aware of the situation but said she will try and get her to call me. Phoned Dad yesterday. (Not sure why I hadn't called him before). To my surprise he answered the phoned and said he was unaware of the debt as Mum hadn't told him about it and he was unaware that she was avoiding me. He called me back later in the evening and he said he will try and borrow the money to pay me. He is hoping to drop the money round on his way to work on Friday, so watch this space.

Fingers crossed you get your money on Friday.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope you get your payment.

I'd think twice as to whether to accept this child come September. I don't think I'd like a repeat of this situation!

Good Luck.
    Claire

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Really hope you get the money you're owed. I've been in a similar situation recently with not having an address (mum moved out and took child with her, then dad moved out too). As I had no address NCMA wouldn't help me either. I finally tracked dad down at his parents. I'm now in the process of getting my money 16 months later.
    Good luck Hx

Dec 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Non-payment-further update

Mrs Scotty Dog, we're you still charging late fees..........

Today £120 has been paid into my account but the balance was £165. Have sent a text (polite) asking when she'll be able to pay the rest. There's no way I'm waiving the late fees when she can't even communicate with me!

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Mrs Scotty Dog, we're you still charging late fees..........

Today £120 has been paid into my account but the balance was £165. Have sent a text (polite) asking when she'll be able to pay the rest. There's no way I'm waiving the late fees when she can't even communicate with me!
    I didn't charge late fees. To be honest I was happy enough to get the money I was owed as I really thought I wouldn't see a penny of it. Hx