TTO fees - bank holiday's & short weeks
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default TTO fees - bank holiday's & short weeks

I've had an enquiry for for TTO & explained that fees are calculated by taking the daily charge x by the 3 days a week she wants me x 38 weeks for the academic year then dividing by 11 giving (as I thought) 11 equal payment with a break in August. She's asked how fees work when terms starts or ends mid-week or any bank holidays that fall during during term time? ie does she just pay less on those weeks when I'm only working 2 days for her & if the payment does stay the same, how can I explain it without sounding like I'm being greedy

All hypothetical at the moment as Ofsted still haven't been round to inspect
    MrsP2C

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 tto children, they pay weekly so just charge for the days used if the school is closed on ie 2 days of the week then charge for 3 days, the only bh that would cause any problems would be may day as all the rest fall in school holidays, for this i charge a school fee charge ie if only after school the fee for that,

I hope this will help
    Cath

Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh OK so I can't ask for 11 equal payments if that's the case can I ? Sorry if I'm being dim....

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well you could, but you would have to work out definate days of working taking into consideration of teacher training days whether you work full day on those days or not, and whether you would charge for them if not working it could get confusing, I do that for a school take and full day holidays over 12 months and I missed a full day out last year and had to add to this years fees so it does sometimes get a bit messy I think I would prefer to do it weekly or monthly if possible, but that is only my opinion but mom wants to pay by direct debit so have to work it that way
    Cath

Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you and just updating in case anyone else has a similar quandary! I realise that I *can* charge by equal monthly instalments because I am only charging for 38 weeks which is 190 days as advertised by my LA as their standard academic year. I explained to the mum that some months she will pay for more than she uses but some months will be less & as long as she stays the full academic year (ie pays sept - July) it will average out but if she leaves earlier I will work out exact number of days & either refund her any overpayment or invoice her for the year. Oh, and thanks to you explaining there's only 1 term time Bank Hol, I am charging for it.

She is happy with all this and we have verbally agreed terms pending my registration when she will sign on the dotted line

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

hon, there are 39 weeks in the academic year not 38. make sure you are not undercharging
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

just wanted to add that I charge for teacher training days if they fall on a contracted day: I'm still open!
    I don't charge for bank hols though as I don't work them. However, if I did, I would charge for the usual b/s and a/s hours.

The sums are horrible, I sympathise: I have a family who have changed to a 3 week shift pattern a few months ago and still get a headache when it comes to invoice time, have to go back through it all to check its right etc

Good luck

best wishes,
    Wendy

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

For my term time only contract just signed, we just used the main school hols instead of farting about with days here and there so schools are off 2 wks Easter, 6 weeks summer giv or take a day, 2 wks October and 2 wks Xmas total 12 wks year so any other odd day here or there mum can decide if she needs me and will pay same as ev one does. The bank hol she has choice to send for enhanced fee or not for usual fee

She being a teacher will obviously have to use me for teacher training days which are term time anyway

So usually 52 wks in year(sometimes53 lol) less no. of wks hol (12) =40 wks she pays for so 40 x weekly rate and then divide by 12 monthly payments as she wants to pay on the 1st of every month.
    She (&me) very happy with this
    XX Jill XX

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrsP2C View Post
    I've had an enquiry for for TTO & explained that fees are calculated by taking the daily charge x by the 3 days a week she wants me x 38 weeks for the academic year then dividing by 11 giving (as I thought) 11 equal payment with a break in August. She's asked how fees work when terms starts or ends mid-week or any bank holidays that fall during during term time? ie does she just pay less on those weeks when I'm only working 2 days for her & if the payment does stay the same, how can I explain it without sounding like I'm being greedy

All hypothetical at the moment as Ofsted still haven't been round to inspect
    MrsP2C
    Its 39 weeks. Even if a term ends mid week the school year is 39 weeks. I charge for all BH if the fall on a contracted day.

I never divide TTO equally over the year because it could be depending on when they leave that either you will ow them money or they will ow you some.

I work out the weekly charge for each of the 39 weeks
    I charge 1/2 fee for the 13 weeks holidays

This also takes account of my holiday because I take all my holiday in school holidays and charge 1/2 fee.

I then add the two figures above up and divide by 39 to get the weekly fee and I am paid either weekly or monthly during the term time only.

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I print off a copy of the school calendar from the local authority website and calculate it to the day, before dividing it into 12 equal installments! You can also see which bank holidays fall within term time - I charge in full for those but only a retainer if they are in the holidays. I also take into account 5 inset days a year - for which I only charge a retainer.

I like 12 installments as it means I get paid the full amount in August.

Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to revisit this again but do you charge for inset days even if they won't be using them? I've worked out the exact number of days *the children will be in school & it's 191 so only 1 day over 38 weeks which I've now included.*

I like Demonjill's way of just deducting 12 weeks for the core holiday, but *I'm charging a higher hourly rate for TTO (no retainer as I don't want them in the holidays & are over 8 do don't count towards my numbers) so does it still work the same way?
    Thank you again for your help.*

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrsP2C View Post
    Sorry to revisit this again but do you charge for inset days even if they won't be using them? I've worked out the exact number of days *the children will be in school & it's 191 so only 1 day over 38 weeks which I've now included.*

I like Demonjill's way of just deducting 12 weeks for the core holiday, but *I'm charging a higher hourly rate for TTO (no retainer as I don't want them in the holidays & are over 8 do don't count towards my numbers) so does it still work the same way?
    Thank you again for your help.*
    I charge for inset days. My TTO contracts are for teachers and school workers so they all have to be in on inset days anyway and need me. If your TTO is for school age children, then they are already getting a good deal (13 weeks of the year payment free) so they have the choice to use you or not on inset days
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine pay weekly when it's term time and pay nothing for holidays, keeps it simple and then I don't 'owe' anything should they leave before the year is up.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tatjana View Post
    Mine pay weekly when it's term time and pay nothing for holidays, keeps it simple and then I don't 'owe' anything should they leave before the year is up.
    Same here x