Does anyone charge a retainer when kid at school?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    mar 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Does anyone charge a retainer when kid at school?

Just wondered as a full timer since I've had from 5 months old, is going to school and needs me in the holidays, I have him til 7pm most days,

Just thought as not charging while at school only before and after, whether I should charge a retainer for those hours to keep his place secure during the day in holidays??

any comments will be appreciated.... X

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't charge if they're in full time school but I do if it's playschool and they only attend a morning or afternoon session

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No in all the 26 years of childminding I have never charged for a child once at school. I do however charge a slightly higher rate for hours before and after school x

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I also charge a higher rate for schoolies but dont charge for school hours

md0u0131 Guest

No, I only charge a retainer if it's going to effect me getting a child in their place when they are not here.

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sammykins View Post
    Just wondered as a full timer since I've had from 5 months old, is going to school and needs me in the holidays, I have him til 7pm most days,

Just thought as not charging while at school only before and after, whether I should charge a retainer for those hours to keep his place secure during the day in holidays??

But the space will not be used by anyone, so there is no space to retain.

mar 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thankyou for ur replies, I've considered charging more for before and after school.

I suppose What I mean is that It would affect me by not being able to have a little one during the day as I couldn't then offer the new one care during hols too. but I see what you mean too by there not actually being a space, It's good to have a different perspective on things. Fingers crossed I get a term time school hours little one

Pipsqueak Guest

Thankyou for ur replies, I've considered charging more for before and after school.

I suppose What I mean is that It would affect me by not being able to have a little one during the day as I couldn't then offer the new one care during hols too. but I see what you mean too by there not actually being a space, It's good to have a different perspective on things. Fingers crossed I get a term time school hours little one
    if the LO is a new starter and is still on 4yrs old then you need to ask Ofsted for the rising 5 clause to be put on your cert (actually anyone know if this clause will still be needed come Sept)

that will mean a 4 yr old in full time education can be classed in your 5-8yr ratios freeing up your under 5 space

mar 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the rising 5 clause, it doesn't matter the age of the child or what cat they are in, it's the overall numbers I can have due to space in the car, I have 3 boys myself. Just want to make use of my spaces

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a toughie and I'm not really following the replies!!!

If in term time you are only charging say 8-9am and 3-5pm then in the school hols these would be the only hours this child would be entitled to....

Unless they pay a retainer for the other hours in this example 9am - 3pm during term time so that they could use 8am - 5pm in the hols...

Does this make sense?

I have a situation like this.. I don't charge the retainer as such but I did guarantee to hold the space 9-3 but charged at an enhanced hourly rate.
    XX Jill XX

mar 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Yes that's exactly what I mean! Spot on! Ok looks like I shall charge a higher fee then. I just wasn't sure what others did to keep those holiday hours safe for them. Thanks