advice on holding fees
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default advice on holding fees

Hi all, Im new here. Im in the middle of my course to become a childminder and have been writing up my policies and contract etc ready for when I start my care (I will be starting in February as Im pregnant at the minute - due in 9 days!!!) Im trying to figure it all out now while I have the time and Im just a little unsure about fees. I want to start a term time service - aiming at teachers or anyone working term time. Should I charge a holding fee during the holidays? I was thinking of charging a reduced price but am not sure if because I will not be working during the term times myself whether or not I can get away with charging.

Also do you supply the children you care for with nappies? I will be providing food however am not sure about nappies.

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I charge a very small holding fee. I do not offer full time holiday care. However, I do this on the basis that the parents are welcome to use the hours I am contracted for if they wish (I work only with school children so that would be 7-9 and 3-6, thankfully no-one has bothered so far!). If I was unwilling to work at all then I don't see how I could justify a holding fee - instead would charge a deposit for the next term to offset against the next invoice. Its up to you how you structure your fees but I don't see why anyone should get paid for time they are unwilling to work and I am not sure the parents would either.

I have never included food or nappies in with my fee but have noticed that some minders on here do to remain in line with other local childcare services in their area.
    Last edited by Bridey; 09-06-2012 at 12:27 PM.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

The best way to do it is charge a slightly higher term time only fee rather than a holiday retainer.
    Work out what it would cost all year round on your normal rate then divide that between the weeks a term time only child would use and that would be your term time only fee.
    If you charge a holiday retainer you risk families wanting you to have their child for those retained hours in the holidays.
    I don't charge a higher rate or a retainer but then I fill the holidays with holiday only children.
    Parents supply nappies for me.