Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default weekend unsociable hrs

Hi,
    I have just been asked to mind a 7year old every other weekend, Sat 05:50am till 21:00pm
    and Sun 07:30am till 17:00pm
    unsure what to charge .I am rubbish at being a business woman
    I know it is up to me what to charge as its my business but just wanted to know what you lovely lot would charge before I make my decision.
    I live in Manchester btw.
    Thank you in advance for your input

Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Right well firstly I chage half hourly, so I would be charging from 5.30am! Usually at double my rate, until 8am...

So 2.5 hours at double time, then time and a half between 8am and 6pm then from 6pm to 9pm double time. The same for sunday, except I would be tempted to charge double between 7.30am and 9am and charge double from from 4pm as it is a Sunday!

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I wouldnt do it, but a minder friend I know did used to do occasional weekends and she told the parents that she would be doing the normal family stuff and the child would come along. So if they were visiting grandma, having a pub lunch, shopping etc then it all had to fit in.

I would definately charge extra per hour for weekends and then a bit more for the unsociable hours, its an awfully long day for both you and the LO on the Saturday

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm working this saturday looking after a baby whilst the parents are at a wedding. They're coming down from london so they're not a usual family.

They wanted care from 10.30am on sat -1.30am on sun so 15 hours.

I had no idea what to charge (my usual week rate if £4.50/hr and unsociable is £6/hr) so i went for £6.50/hr. When the email came back they said that was really cheap and they were used to paying £10/hr!!

I wish I'd gone higher now I'll just have to hope they're good tippers!! Next time I'll definitely go for more!
    Like my ideas on Facebook 'Play, naturally'

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Well my weekends are precious to me so it would be double time on the Saturday and x3 on a Sunday.

but thats cos i really don't want to work weekends.

Thats very long hours she is looking for you to do too. Thats your whole weekend. I personally wouldnt start before 8 on a week day and not before 9 on a weekend.

Jul 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiya

I actually advertise for working weekends but now I'm busy during the week I don't want to. I personally wouldn't do it but if you do I would charge double. I charge £3.50 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm. Out of these hours in the week it's £4.50 hour and £5 at weekends, £7 bank holidays. I am considering changing my prices for more out of normal hours and would definately charge double before 6am.

jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge 4.5- between 8-6, time and a half an hour either side, double outside this, saturdays time and a half 8-6, sundays double time aswell as bank holidays so would be 9 an hour. I had a boy regularly on a saturday and no questions whatsoever xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I make it £158.50 for the weekend based on £7.00 p/h for the unsociable hours and £3.50 p/h which is my normal charge + £50 for working the weekend. Good money but a very long Saturday - is the child little? Possibly back to bed for an hour or 2 on arrival?
    Last edited by funemnx; 08-06-2012 at 01:06 PM.