7.30-8.30 nursery drop-off what to charge??
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 7.30-8.30 nursery drop-off what to charge??

Hi

I have someone who wants to use me all day Monday and on 3 days just 7.30-8.30 am and drop mindee to nursery. This i assume is because it works out cheaper for her and she is low income single young mum. I know she works very hard and she is desperate for someone to have boy on monday and to be able to get to work on these 3 days but nursery not open. I'm tempted to just charge my normal fee but at the same time I have drop off at home at 8.30 and then the school run so dropping this lo off may be biting off more than I can chew!. I have made it clear if it makes the children late for school I won't be able to do it but willing to give it a go. Also its earlier than I normally start so will have to be really on the ball to be up ready and have my 2 ready for school too!!

I'm also going to say if I have to turn down an all-dayer to accommodate her then its not financially feasible for me to do it. In essence I don't really want to do the mornings but if I don't shes stuck! However if I'm clear from the start is that fairer??

My normal fee is £3.50 an hour but it hardly seems worth getting out of bed for that - do you think £4.50 would be a reasonable charge for this hour??

None of the other childminders around here don't do short sessions - 5/6 hour minimum and I was always determined to be more flexible but I am finding out why they do this!!

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

ive had an enquiry via fis for a mum wanting me to pick her ds 4 1/2 up 3 days a week and drop him to school and im charging £10 a day and she was happy with that its taking a eyfs space for me until 9am so is restricting me in taking on lo's xx On my contracts i have a clause that says i charge £3.50 per hour minimum of 4 hours
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i would do it on the basis that if someone came along who needed the space from 0730 and all day, I would have to take that job on. As long as you tell her this upfront should be fine.

I would charge at least £5/hour for this.

You never know you might get a full day enquiry from 0900 and then you can do both
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with The Juggler!! I wouldn;t do it for less that £5 and I would make it clear at the start that if someone comes along wanting more hours then you would have to look at it again, as she will be taking up one of your EYFS places for 1 hour a day!!!

We all want to help out, but at the end of the day its a business we are running and 1 hour's pay instead of 5+ isn't going to to far

Oct 10
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

I would do it at my normal hourly rate with a bit in the contract that if i got a r a full time child then i would have to reassess or end the part time contract.

I have one little boy for 90 minutes once a week 9 (mid morning) would not dream of charging here above the normal rate but she knows the contract can be terminated at short notice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean cc View Post
    I would do it at my normal hourly rate with a bit in the contract that if i got a r a full time child then i would have to reassess or end the part time contract.

I have one little boy for 90 minutes once a week 9 (mid morning) would not dream of charging here above the normal rate but she knows the contract can be terminated at short notice.
    But it is a 7.30 start!!! Lots of CM have an enhanced rate before a certain time, especially if (like me) one day a week you have to get up for just one before schoolie for an hour!!

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I've gone for £4.50 an hour and also said we will see how it goes depending on my current commitments and if I get future all dayers. TBH most drop-offs for me are between 8.30 -9.30 so I'm hoping it won't be a problem.
    She responded to the discussion by saying she's hoping to get a car so she doesn't have to drop him so early and can be at work on time - this would be fab if it works out like this!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    I've gone for £4.50 an hour and also said we will see how it goes depending on my current commitments and if I get future all dayers. TBH most drop-offs for me are between 8.30 -9.30 so I'm hoping it won't be a problem.
    She responded to the discussion by saying she's hoping to get a car so she doesn't have to drop him so early and can be at work on time - this would be fab if it works out like this!
    will this new contract cause a problem then hon? if you are dropping new LO at nursery and other parents might need to drop off to you at home?

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

yes exactly!
    but I will have to say parents at 8.30 to be prompt and he won't be able to be at nursery promptly - I have to add that as I will be driving on these days to make sure kids get everywhere on time that the nursery is on the way to school and only a few minutes away so he should be there only 5 or 10 minutes late - so long as parking isn't a huge issue.

Post Thanks / Like

yes exactly!
    but I will have to say parents at 8.30 to be prompt and he won't be able to be at nursery promptly - I have to add that as I will be driving on these days to make sure kids get everywhere on time that the nursery is on the way to school and only a few minutes away so he should be there only 5 or 10 minutes late - so long as parking isn't a huge issue.
    I have to say it seems a lot of hassel for a few pounds a week

Could you not "compete" with Nursery (even if it is less than you would normally charge) and have him the full days rather than just an hour!

Or could he come to you in the morning and you take him to Nursery say at lunch time if mum is desparate for him to go (I assume she is picking up from there), rather than having to rush about like a mad thing in the morning and him still be late for nursery!!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge £5 before school so that would be my minimum fee for before nursery too.
    Debbie

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

£5 an hour seems the consensus on this - can I ask those of you who have put £5 an hour - how does that compare with your normal rate?

Post Thanks / Like

£5 an hour seems the consensus on this - can I ask those of you who have put £5 an hour - how does that compare with your normal rate?
    I charge £3.50 an hour but a minimum of £5 before and £10 after school (so if it were just an hour before nursery I would charge the same - obviously if I was having child after nursery as well it would be my normal rate, but I would charge whilst they were there)!

The mum is also asking to drop lo off at 7.30 which is earlier than you usually start anyway, and it is just for the hour, so I don't think £5 is unreasonable

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

my rate is 4.50 with 5.00 for before/after schoolers or for anyone needing before 0800 am.

however even if my rate was 3.50 i would charge a min. of 5.00 for this job.