HELP what to charge
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default HELP what to charge

Hi I have a lady coming tomorrow at 9am wanting after school care for her son 4 yrs old .Pick up Mon-Fri from school 3.20 -6.00 I charge £8 for 2hr after school session then normal £3.50hr there after dont do half hours .So daily rate would be £11.50 she said she would be paying weekly .I have in my policy that I ask for 4wks in advance how would I work it out sorry not very good at this but shes my 1st client dont want to get it wrong or would you accept a lower advance if paying weekly.Realy open to advice before tomorrow thanks in advance xx

Diana

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Does the LO finished school at 3.20 or is that what time you would leave the house to collect?
    I charge after school from 3pm when I leave to get to the school on time then just hourly rate. Mine go home at 5.30 so it's 2 and a half hours.
    What about holiday cover? Is it term time only?
    I would advise to always get payment in advance so if she's paying monthly/weekly then get the payment on the first working day of the month/week and if there are any extra charges (longer hours) or refunds (your sickness) they can be added/deducted on the follwoing months/weeks invoice.

HTH

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Two princesses
    I would be leaving the house at 3pm for collection at 3.20 so if I charge 3hrs that will work out about right.Also when I asked about being just term time she said she wasnt sure but her mum might have him so if she wants me to be available should I charge a half fee retainer if she doesnt need me then I won't charge.I apologise for sounding stupid but she will be paying weekly so how does it work do I ask for 4wks advance or just 1 week getting myself in bit of a tizz lol x

Diana

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you take 4 weeks in advance, would you use that for the first 4 weeks payments or to cover the final 4 weeks notice period when they eventually leave?
    If it's held until the end of the contract you have to be very careful to put the money to one side as you'll get nothing new coming in for the final 4 weeks, even though you're still having the child.

For my parents that pay weekly I only charge a week in advance. They pay on the last day of their week for the following week (eg. mindee I have Mon-Thur pay on Thur forr the following week). I make it quite clear that if they don't pay, I don't have the child.
    I know it could means they could leave without paying the notice period, but I have never had that happen.

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Two princesses
    Think I have it so if she started on Monday would I accept mon-fri money then following Mon do same so always a week ahead and as you said say week 1 I was closed 1 day I would take it off following week sorry to go on just want to make sure I get it right .So when would I give her the invoice for the week on the Friday or Thur for Monday payment I appreciate the advice.

Diana

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Two princesses
    Think I have it so if she started on Monday would I accept mon-fri money then following Mon do same so always a week ahead and as you said say week 1 I was closed 1 day I would take it off following week sorry to go on just want to make sure I get it right .So when would I give her the invoice for the week on the Friday or Thur for Monday payment I appreciate the advice.

Diana

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

For my parents that pay weekly I only charge a week in advance. They pay on the last day of their week for the following week (eg. mindee I have Mon-Thur pay on Thur forr the following week). I make it quite clear that if they don't pay, I don't have the child.
    The way mouse works is good as they are alway in advance and no payment, no care. Could you invoice Thursday for payment Friday?
    With regard to TTO with possible care in the holidays, make sure you think about how much notice you need (ie they can't phone the night before and say can you have x from 8am till 6pm tomorrow) and perhaps all spaces booked are to be paid for whether used or not.
    Chances are you'll make some errors on your first family (i know I did!) but we all learn from our mistakes.
    Good luck

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Two Princesses and Mouse
    Thanks for advice she turned up today with her son for visit which was a good start at least she is 1st enquiry through the door.Asked me lots questions which I hope I answered correctly as I was very nervous she seemed happy with what I was saying her son goes to a private school 2 miles away from me I would be picking him up and giving him snack and helping with homework I said I charge £4hr after school so m-f 3-6 be £60wk and like Mouse I have asked for 1 week in advance.She is going to call me before Friday to comfirm everything as I am on holiday for 2wks from 7th-21st she said she would need me from 22nd and meet her at school to meet his teacher I did say that I would need paper work completed before then so fingers crossed will be all signed up by Friday .So to clarify I will ask for 1 week on signing contract then invoice on the Thur for friday payment I will get my head around it eventualy Thanks for your help I will let you know what happens be gutted if I dont get it

aug 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

At the moment i have 3 parents who pay on the first day of care each week.One comes m-f so pays on monday,second come t,t,f so pays tuesday morning ,one comes t,f she is 1 week ahead and pays each friday on collection as is after school only.1 parent pays monthly as they get tc monthly,have had him 6 years and never missed or been late with payment

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine all pay weekly in advance on the first day of care for that week.

hth

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default fees

all my mindees pay a month in advance and no quibbles..if i`m ill i deduct from their following months invoice and at least i know theyve paid upfront and dont have to chase them each week..enough headaches as it is plus think nurseries charge same way too