Late paying parents :-(
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I would try and get what you're owed - once you terminate the contract it's unlikely you'll see a penny of your money.

I'd tell mum you need arrears plus next weeks money up front before you consider caring for the child again - otherwise you're working for nothing.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't put anything about terminating the contract otherwise they may just not bother to pay you and look for a new childminder.

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would make it clear at the beginning when they sign the contract that they have to pay either beginning of the month or week depends on individual family's circumstance.
    You can wait the most is one week if the payment is not paid by the eyoung the week you could assess the situation that do you wish to continue or terminate!!!!! YOU hav to make the decision!!! Late fee may help it depends.

Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the advice.
    I got my money in full today. I didn't say anything about terminating.
    I think if im honest i'd like to part company with the family, but as I have just started out I need the work. Also the child is lovely and gets on very well with my son who is a similar age. I think that maybe they are one of those families where you have to keep on their back and reminding them!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Good news about getting paid you just need to make sure you are consistent, set your policies out to the parents and don't deviate from them. I have found that's the only way to lessen the likelihood of these situation occurring.
    Everyone has said it time and time again, parents MUST understand that, yes, we love our jobs, but we are a business at the end of the day. Its one of the major problems I find, that parents/carers attitudes towards us can sometimes be less than informal as we are not operating under the banner of a big business etc.

Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Right - they have done it agaian - not paid me today. Am absolutley sick of it now, out of 10 weeks working with this family, on 5 occasions my pay has been late.
    I spoke to the NCMA today regarding my 'rights' and how I should proceed. They have advised me to write a letter so that I have a 'paper trail'. i have copies of all invoices given with payment due dates on plus receipts for when I was ACTUALLY paid.
    I can't believe that people can trust you with their most precious possetions, but not pay you when due and risk causing 'tension'!!

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I hope you are going to word this letter strongly and let them know exactly what will happen should they continue to not pay you on time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by patalexander View Post
    Right - they have done it agaian - not paid me today. Am absolutley sick of it now, out of 10 weeks working with this family, on 5 occasions my pay has been late.
    I spoke to the NCMA today regarding my 'rights' and how I should proceed. They have advised me to write a letter so that I have a 'paper trail'. i have copies of all invoices given with payment due dates on plus receipts for when I was ACTUALLY paid.
    I can't believe that people can trust you with their most precious possetions, but not pay you when due and risk causing 'tension'!!
    Feel so sorry for you, it's a rotten way to be treated but now you have to insist on "no money, no childcare" and get payment in advance.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Bridey,
    I have asked for advice regarding the letter on another thread. I know it has to be very 'strong'.

Miffy,
    I said to the NCMA today that I thoght i'd do that tomorrow and they said that if I do I will be in breach of contract! I can't do that unless payment is 7 days late and I terminate immediatley. Unless I terminate immediatley on the grounds of 'continuous/recurring' late payments.

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good old NCMA - expecting us to work for nothing!

Post Thanks / Like

Miffy,
    I said to the NCMA today that I thoght i'd do that tomorrow and they said that if I do I will be in breach of contract! I can't do that unless payment is 7 days late and I terminate immediatley. Unless I terminate immediatley on the grounds of 'continuous/recurring' late payments.
    I am sorry but if your contract says you should be paid on a certain date and they don't pay you then they have broken the contract! Why should you carry on working when you haven't been paid?

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've just seen your other post. You really need to decide whether you want this job or not before you write this letter.

If you want to keep it then it may be you need to tolerate the fact that you will need to remind them to pay you each week and that it may be 1 or two days late each time. If you are not willing to tolerate that then you need to be prepared to terminate.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I had this with a parent a long time ago and i suggested a standing order and they were really happy as they didnt like me asking as much as I didnt like asking, but they werent very organised

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All mine pay me monthly standing order. Maybe you need to knock the weekly payments on the head and start insisting on monthly in advance?

Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I want to terminate BUT I really need the job - I'm not exactly turning people away :-(

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bridey View Post
    All mine pay me monthly standing order. Maybe you need to knock the weekly payments on the head and start insisting on monthly in advance?
    I must admit they were weekly by standing order and once we set it up it all went fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to terminate BUT I really need the job - I'm not exactly turning people away :-(
    In that case why not give Caz's suggestion a go?

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good idea - they can set it up on the internet really easily

Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I did suggest standing order when the contract was set up as another of my parents do that. These parents wanted to pay by cash weekly, as I hadn't had any problems before (not that i'd been minding long) I thought it would be ok so long as I said payment in advance. I didn't think through that i'd have to ask every week for it!

Post Thanks / Like

I did suggest standing order when the contract was set up as another of my parents do that. These parents wanted to pay by cash weekly, as I hadn't had any problems before (not that i'd been minding long) I thought it would be ok so long as I said payment in advance. I didn't think through that i'd have to ask every week for it!
    But that's clearly not working now so I would have another chat to them and suggest this as a way forward.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast