Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by patalexander View Post
    Well - I did it! lol. I spoke to mum when she collected the child yesterday. I just asked if there was a problem with our payment dates that needed looking at. She replied that she had simply FORGOTTEN to pay me!
    She asked if she could give it to me today and that she would make sure that it was on time next week.
    Lets see how that goes................hopefully all sorted!
    It happens. These are working mums (like us) and only human! We all know what Sunday nights are like, trying to get ourselves organised.

But well done for saying something to her It wasn't nearly as bad as you thought it would be, was it?

You may have to remind her every week but as long as you get paid then if that's what it takes then that's what it takes!

Post Thanks / Like

glad you got it sorted and well done for asking!!!
    Owners of a lovely 2 bedroom holiday cottage www.thecottagegillamoor.co.uk

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a parent like this, I wrote a post nearly identical! In the end I gave notice as I got so tired of the excuses and lies. It wasn't a huge deal of money, but it was the principle and the stress and anger it caused me. I do not believe that your mum has forgotten - you just don't 'forget' to pay your new childminder every week. Move to a 'no money, no care' policy and stick to it. She'll never 'forget' again.

Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to update - Mum hasn't 'forgotten' again - yet! Think its all sorted now that i've made it cear that i need paying on time!

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Excellent!

April12
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just started childminding but i wrote into my policies that all fees are to be paid either weekly or monthly in advance. So far so good! x
    It is a worry because this is our income and we rely on this money coming in . It was always a fear that i would get a parent who would not pay!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by patalexander View Post
    Well - I did it! lol. I spoke to mum when she collected the child yesterday. I just asked if there was a problem with our payment dates that needed looking at. She replied that she had simply FORGOTTEN to pay me!
    She asked if she could give it to me today and that she would make sure that it was on time next week.
    Lets see how that goes................hopefully all sorted!
    Oh I had this last week - parent paid less than half of what was actually invoiced, she seemed to have plucked a number out of thin air!! and when I asked her about it at evening pick up was given the excuse of "forgetfulness due to only having had a hour and a half sleep" woot! I had payments bounce as a result which I did point out to her, although she went and got cash at 5.30pm to pay the rest so technically I cannot charge my late fees?
    Had it again this morning with another contract, I'm already on edge from last Fridays debacle, there is some money outstanding on a contract that is paid in advance, unbeknown to me parent has made two separate bacs payments, but I only saw first amount on my online banking, second hasn't credited for whatever reason and will be late now, but I heard nothing from parent to say she was making two payments so obviously I raised it at drop off and received the response how they were offended I had mentioned the outstanding fees and possible incurrence of late fees as per contractual requirement! Parents also adamant that they had implemented payment in good time so it obviously the banks fault that its not gone in on time.
    Had to go and stand in kitchen and have a little sob after shutting door, luckily the lo's were playing nicely in other room and didnt see me upset.
    Last edited by izzy23; 12-06-2012 at 09:58 AM.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CH1957 View Post
    I threatened late payment charges last month when payment was 10 days overdue following advice given on this forum. This month I got paid 1 day early!!!
    So definately worth putting your business head on and get tough! Im going to introduce deposits too now to new business as I havent done it in the past but you learn by your mistakes.

Well that didnt last long! Parent was 7 days late again this month despite texting me on the 1st June to say she was paying as she texted me. When I did finally receive it on 7th June it was £52 short, now she is saying she has definately paid it must be banks fault. I am going to write a letter now to give her when she collects later that I am applying late payment fees, which will be added to next months invoice, and also that if it is not on time in future I will not care for child - is this too strong do you think? Im really fed up with their lies and excuses now.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No its not too strong I think you have to be tough now, which contracts do you use? Do you have the Morton Michel ones. I would copy/print out again your policies regarding fees & any other paperwork to back this up (I.E. the signed contracts etc) stick it all in with a letter explaining, first and foremost, your right to withhold service, then obviously state again regarding late fees, explain this is standard procedure in the profession, you are a professional business!

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by izzy23 View Post
    No its not too strong I think you have to be tough now, which contracts do you use? Do you have the Morton Michel ones. I would copy/print out again your policies regarding fees & any other paperwork to back this up (I.E. the signed contracts etc) stick it all in with a letter explaining, first and foremost, your right to withhold service, then obviously state again regarding late fees, explain this is standard procedure in the profession, you are a professional business!

Thanks, I use NCMA contracts and they do state on page 4 that you can withdraw care immediately for a number of reasons - one of them being non payment for a certain number of days.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you anyway of copying that page of the contract to stick in with the letter, so it refreshes for them what they signed and agreed to? In my experience, contracts tend to get shoved away by parents and the actual terms forgotten about unless they have a problem with some part of it!
    If not, then in your letter write that you advise them to look at their copy of the contract paying specific attention to page 4 part **.

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think all this paying weekly is a major hassle
    i would advise asking the parent to pay monthly and of course in advance

Jul 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CH1957 View Post
    Thanks, I use NCMA contracts and they do state on page 4 that you can withdraw care immediately for a number of reasons - one of them being non payment for a certain number of days.
    New contracts are great. You are not being harsh, I've had the same problems and the worry and stress over confronting parents put my blood pressure up, mean while, parents didn't give a hoot! I changed the wording in my policies and gave everyone 4 weeks notice to sign new contracts with the charges stated or I would accept it as their notice. Not had problems since.

Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I am sorry that you are having problems too CH1957.

Mine have gone from ok to bad to worse in the last week!
    Ever since I spoke to mum about late payments I have been paid on time - well upon collecting child not dropping off. But on the right day.
    Last week Wednesday mum brought child and she was obviously ill, I felt a little 'pushed into a corner' to have the child, and initially didnt realise how 'bad' she was. Anyway after an hour or so I rang mum to collect. The child is only 15 months and was very poorly. Obviously she hadn't been to the bank and I didn't get paid. I was meant to be working Thursday and Friday but mum didnt bring the child as she was still ill. Hence no money all week. I am paid if the child is sick but did anticipate that there may be a problem getting last weeks money as the child didn't attend and parents seem to like 'getting their moneys worth'.
    Today mum brought child - no money but as she has been paying me upon collection, I didn't worry too much. Although I was worried that I would have to insist on payment for last week (as it wouldn't be offered freely).
    At collection time I was vey busy - 2 new children started yesterday and my son who is almost 1 had a fall just as mum arrived. Anyway before I could even mention money (as I was tending my son), mum had virtually run out of the door - not even giving me this weeks money let alone last!
    I am really cross, I feel that I don't want to even bother any more. Im a bit cross with myself as I didnt get a chance to give invoices for last and this week today. Last week because child was ill - I like to give it the week before but I didnt know what days I was having the child, so couldnt write it! and today because mum disappeared. However mum knows that payment is due 1st working day of the week and its always the same amount! so I dont feel that she has an excuse.
    Any way I was due to be paid last Wednesday and I still haven't had any mention of money - I haven't said anything either though -because i thought id give the benefit of the doubt last week and didnt for one minute think i'd not get paid today.
    I have text mum tonight asking if she will be at home tomorrow for me to drop her invoices to her, in the hope that she'd say she'd forgot/not had chance to go to the bank, whatever but No, she hasn't said a word just. "If im not in, post it through!
    I have ncma contracts and where it says about terminating for non payment/late payments, I have written in 7 days. Well obviously that 7 days is tomorrow and I really feel like I should just give upon this one, I have had a different problem every week, if its not money, its turning up late/early. However I do feel like I should give a 'warning' but I dont know what to do next. Write a letter? State that i could/will be charging late payment fees of £5 per day as the contract states? Just say they are in breach of contract and that im terminating with immediate effect? If I did that - I would then have to chase them for last weeks money and todays.
    Arghh I don't know what to do!

If only when working with children you didnt have to deal with the parents!

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think you need to deliver the invoices and give them 7 days to pay before you can really take any other immediate steps. If a parent isn't present on any day that you normally hand over an invoice then I would pop it through their door that evening.

How do you do your invoices - why not do 4 weeks at one time so they get told in advance what they are due to pay each week?

However, if you are generally unhappy working for them anymore then there is nothing stopping you giving them 4 weeks notice.

Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply. I usually do invoices monthly but this family has asked for them weekly. Also I work different hours/days and am meant to know them 3 weeks in advance. I never do - sometimes I have to ring on a Sunday night to see if im working on Monday! Therefore I cannot put dates on the invoices so cannot always give in advance.
    I haven't been able to deliver them today as my car has died :-( Will be seeing mum tomorrow and need to deal with the issue. Especially as I now have to buy a new car!
    I feel that I should add on late payment fees (as stated in my contract) but as I haven't given invoices feel that I cannot. Even though initially I didn't do invoices and agreed payment date with parents - working around them and what they wanted.

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do you really want to continue working for this family?

Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well to be honest - No. But the little girl is lovely and gets on very well with my son.
    Plus i've not exactly got my phone ringing constantly with work!

Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have changed the format of my invoice with this family and have written next weeks one (although I do not know working days yet). I have written as a weekly and left dates off.
    I have added a note at the bottome which reads,

Our contract states:
    Late payments will be charged at the rate of £5 per day
    Late payments outstanding for more than 7 days will result in immediate termination of the contract by myself.

Does that sound ok?

Thanks for any advice.

Pat

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do you actually want to terminate, or would you prefer to withdraw services until paid in full?

Just a thought.....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast