Thread: How cold?

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How cold?

Hi everyone
    My question is how cold does it have to be before Ofsted thinks its ok to stay indoors?
    I have a mindee who is with me 1 day a week and has been with me 6 weeks.
    It seems that most of the time lo is with me it is very cold outside generally about 2 degrees. 18 month Lo refuses to wear gloves and hat or keep blanket/cosy toes on so gets cold very quickly and starts crying so by the time we get to the park Lo is really distressed. The garden is a mud pit as not cold enough to harden and Lo will not wear wellies.
    We go out to activities but they are also inside. On fine days when it is warmer we are in the park and have lots of fun.
    Parents have been asked to provide outside clothing plus extra for wet days but most of the time it's only suitable for cool days,(looks great but not very practical) and last week no vest just a thin jumper and no spare clothes, so when Lo got wet I had no spare clothes so put the heating up and tumbled the clothes. I have put message in diary/newsletter about dressing for winter, did topic for December-" Winter staying warm" .

I know Ofsted are hot on outside activities but even when its really cold? I know we will be outside all the time when it gets a little warmer will they be happy with my efforts? I have logged the outside temperature as a precaution.

Any advice would be great

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think you have to use your common sense on this one. I have a little one who has a cough that is much worse when we are outside so apart from the walk to and from school she is staying indoors, older child has played outside whilst at nursery so we won't have an outside play today.

Cx

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

They probably do expect us to go outside no matter what but I don't think that's sensible.

I don't mind the cold too much, and luckily my mindees are generally very good at keeping on their hats/ gloves etc (when parents have provided them of course!) so they are okay outside for a short while at least.
    I hate the rain though! If it's raining my son's asthma plays up, and he tends to stay wheezy for a good few hours after coming back inside. Plus the other mindees tend to get miserable if they get wet so on the whole it's not a nice experience for anyone.

So no, we don't go outside every day!

Post Thanks / Like

Ofsted look at the balance of indoor and outdoor activities we provide so take an overview rather than day by day.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for your answers it has put my mind at rest.

I try to do activities which can translate to indoor if the weather is too cold. So the sand comes in and planting pots, digging in peat and bigger play equipment like the tent and small slide and trike and lawnmowers.

Hopefully this will ok for Ofsted.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't always go out everyday. When I have little ones and it is freezing we stay tucked up in the warm

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The new Eyfs - when it is released in September - has taken away the bit that says we can use our judgement about not letting children go out in bad weather!

In the new Eyfs there are no excuses ... so I suppose we need to make the most of it this winter

Personally I use my judgement depending on the children and their individual needs.

I would be more worried that a child refuses to wear gloves or wellies...

I am the adult and I am in charge and I put them back on until the child gives up taking them off

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do a half hr school run in the morning and 45min in the afternoon plus always take dog for half hr - so even if we are not outside'playing' lo still has enough fresh air, btw do i need to document dog walks/school run in daily diary? did at first but felt silly repeating myself mum knows we do this everyday x
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

we go out in all weathers - the children need to be appropriately dressed . Keep nagging the parents - tell them you WILL be going out regardless and the child needs the right warm / waterproof clothes. Offer to buy them and add to the invoice if they still dont send them ! It does take a while to change habits and mindsets , ours as well as parents , but I think quite often it is the childminder who doesnt really want to be out in the wather rather than considering the children! Ive got salopets for those rotten days as have the children , i use the same ones we used at forest school.
    Must admit though I really hate the wind!!
    OOh and Ive got to stay in for a delivery today.
    I can feel my halo slipping!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    The new Eyfs - when it is released in September - has taken away the bit that says we can use our judgement about not letting children go out in bad weather!

In the new Eyfs there are no excuses ... so I suppose we need to make the most of it this winter

Personally I use my judgement depending on the children and their individual needs.

I would be more worried that a child refuses to wear gloves or wellies...

I am the adult and I am in charge and I put them back on until the child gives up taking them off

That's interesting. Its also tough because if, like last year I go through a period of having 3 very little non walkers there is no way I would leave my house at the top of a hill in deep snow with a triple buggy that wouldn't push in the snow anyway!! how an earth would you deal with similar children in the garden in deep snow? I would have to revert to what my mum did with us, put them in their buggies in the garden for their sleeps!

I suppose we are going to have to take a dated photo each day and keep and album so we can prove to Ofsted at every inspection that we have gone out every day?! I think someone has made a bit of a mistake on that one and I'm afraid I will continue to use my judgement even if I have to justify it to the hilt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    That's interesting. Its also tough because if, like last year I go through a period of having 3 very little non walkers there is no way I would leave my house at the top of a hill in deep snow with a triple buggy that wouldn't push in the snow anyway!! how an earth would you deal with similar children in the garden in deep snow? I would have to revert to what my mum did with us, put them in their buggies in the garden for their sleeps!

I suppose we are going to have to take a dated photo each day and keep and album so we can prove to Ofsted at every inspection that we have gone out every day?! I think someone has made a bit of a mistake on that one and I'm afraid I will continue to use my judgement even if I have to justify it to the hilt.
    I agree I will continue to use my judgement too

Some things are just too silly for words if you ask me

Angel xx

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Today had Lo as a one off extra, It was raining and Lo turned up in a beautiful jumper and brand new shoes had fallen over in a puddle at home so wet trousers and no spare clothes and no coat.
    I was dressed in rain coat to my knees and waterproof walking boots when I greeted them at the door as we had to go in the car straight away to get to CM group!

I have no problem with weather as long as I am dry and warm. I dress for comfort not for joy!
    I go geocaching /camping with my family and we all own several types of waterproofs for winter/summer but none in Lo size.

I am going to buy some wellingtons and waterproofs and wait for the screaming to start