Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Drinking cups / how not to share

Hi Everyone,

How do I allow my 18mth & 12mth mindees access to drinking water all the time and yet stop them from picking up each others cup and drinking from it?

I've tried labelling them, putting photo's on them etc (the cups not the children)

but the miniscule second I turn my back & they've nabbed the other's child's drink

Any ideas??

Thanks

Sweetpea

Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Does it really matter?

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have thought it does matter if children share cups for health and safety reasons, although you can't always stop it.

Can you put their cups within sight but slightly out of reach?
    Offer them drinks frequently and at meal/ snacks but you control the cups
    I have a 12 month old and a 2 year old and 12 month old, he constantly wants to drink or throw other children's cups, so his is on the children's table, he can see it and points to it when he needs a drink, however I also offer drinks frequently

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Mawi. Most babies / toddlers that I have looked after will try and take somebody else's beakers. What I do is tell them when they take somebody else's beaker " That is not yours 'x', it is 'xs' juice", then give them their beaker and ask them to give the other beaker back to 'x' just to help reinforce that it's not theirs and to encourage sharing. When the beakers are not being used, I place them just out of their reach but where they can see them and regularly offer them a drink. Although it can't always be helped.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I think I will just keep them slightly out of reach to avoid the germsharing, then I can help them get them when they reach for them.

Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I allocate a different colour to each child, and if I see them picking up the wrong cup, I take it away and say "No X, that's not your cup, that's Y's cup. X has the pink cup" and I hand the pink cup to her. I found my mindees at 13/14 months quickly understood and started looking for the correct colour cup. Plus it helps with learning their colours.

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine all have a different colour cup that is theirs and is not used by anyone else.

I do believe it is important to try to not let them share as one of mine has an immunity problem so germ sharing is a big no no and we have to be extra specially careful more than previously.

I am lucky I have a table next to my chair and this is where I keep there cups. They cannot get them themselves but just come and ask/point at them and sit next to me on the floor and drink and put them straight back ion the table.

But I have always done this even before the lo started with me.
    love Kate
    Save the earth it's the only planet with chocolate

June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use different colour cups and find it surprising how quickly they realise which is their cup.

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Do the children use the same cup each time they are at your setting? mine do and it doesnt take them long to understand (even as young as 14months).

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Everyone

They nopw each have the same cup each to use every day of a different colour.

I've even put their initial on with permanent marker so they can get used to this too. Realised buying new cups for children is just easier than refereeing cup wars : )

Thanks

Sweetpea