Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Where can this fit in EYFS?

Hi Everyone

My EYFS brain has gone to mushy overload, I have completed an observation of a 3 year old making necklace and bracelet with wooden beads.

I can only think of the obvious PSRN, but yet again the EYFS jargon is not understandable.

Please could you lovely people put my mind and rest and point me in the right direction for areas of learning with threading beads.

Many Thanks

Paula1974

Latest Inspection Grade
    *OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I would put it under PD - Using Equipment and Materials - Engage in activities requiring hand-eye coordination.

Hth
    ƸӜƷ* Hello Kitty *ƸӜƷ

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

PSE; working independently and satisfaction at completing something
    PRN; counting, creating/following pattern
    CD; patterns with colours
    PD; fine motor skills and manipulative skills
    CLL; colours, size shape
    KUW; what beads will and will not do eg round ones roll square ones don't

Apr 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your help

Paula1974

Aug 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QualityCare View Post
    PSE; working independently and satisfaction at completing something
    PRN; counting, creating/following pattern
    CD; patterns with colours
    PD; fine motor skills and manipulative skills
    CLL; colours, size shape
    KUW; what beads will and will not do eg round ones roll square ones don't
    i also try to think about how activities fit into a child's spiritual development as a particular aspect of PSED. i know it sounds a bit hippyish and treehuggerish but i think that especially with all this talk of breakdown in family and citizenship being constantly cited as the cause of the riots (rightly or wrongly,i dunno), children's spiritual dev is more important than ever. Spiritual development is about children being able to understand things they cannot see, for example: how the wind feels on their skin. It is about how they feel and think about things including themselves. It is not about religion. so i would be thinking of saying something to the child like, "if you gave this (wooden beaded) necklace to your mum, how do you think she would feel? and how would that make you feel? just a thought....
    incidentally, studies have shown, again and again, that serial killers, rapists, paedophiles etc display no empathy to victims of crime whatsoever. there is absolutely no characteristic of it in their make-up. they are totally detached from other human beings. the younger we get children to think about the feelings of others the better. i personally hope that spiritual development has more emphasis in the new EYFS framework but i do seriously doubt it.

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marleymoo View Post
    i also try to think about how activities fit into a child's spiritual development as a particular aspect of PSED. i know it sounds a bit hippyish and treehuggerish but i think that especially with all this talk of breakdown in family and citizenship being constantly cited as the cause of the riots (rightly or wrongly,i dunno), children's spiritual dev is more important than ever. Spiritual development is about children being able to understand things they cannot see, for example: how the wind feels on their skin. It is about how they feel and think about things including themselves. It is not about religion. so i would be thinking of saying something to the child like, "if you gave this (wooden beaded) necklace to your mum, how do you think she would feel? and how would that make you feel? just a thought....
    incidentally, studies have shown, again and again, that serial killers, rapists, paedophiles etc display no empathy to victims of crime whatsoever. there is absolutely no characteristic of it in their make-up. they are totally detached from other human beings. the younger we get children to think about the feelings of others the better. i personally hope that spiritual development has more emphasis in the new EYFS framework but i do seriously doubt it.
    what a lovely way to think of things. i am very bad at not really accepting my own kids feelings and emotions, its a bit black and white to me. happy, sad, well, ill etc. i think i'm raising a few axe murderers here!!!
    i'm very naughty, i see the word spiritual and think of sandles and sack cloth or unicorns and rainbows. good on you developing your kids with a really positive life approach!

Aug 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by khlwomitchell View Post
    i'm very naughty, i see the word spiritual and think of sandles and sack cloth or unicorns and rainbows. good on you developing your kids with a really positive life approach!
    lol, you know it's not actually my idea. It is already (albeit very subtly) embedded within the EYFS along with physical, cognitive, linguistic, social and emotional development: it's simply that i choose to emphasise it in my setting. It comes under "unique child". I think people steer away from it because they think it's to do with religion and that can be a scary thought if we're not religious ourselves. I want children to think before they stand on a spider because i feel that only when they can feel sorry for such a tiny defenceless creature can they begin to imagine how it feels when we hurt another human being. important things really do start very small don't they?

Aug 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

i DO come across as a tree hugger don't I?
    i think i must be. i snapped the branch of one of my tomato plants yesterday and said "sorry". the kids rolled about laughing at me

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i DO come across as a tree hugger don't I?
    i think i must be. i snapped the branch of one of my tomato plants yesterday and said "sorry". the kids rolled about laughing at me
    ha ha ha, i think i owe some insects an apology. splatted a wasp so hard it split in half!
    but my woodlice at home live alongside us as mini pets. Maybe that'll balance my karma?

Jun-11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

lol, you know it's not actually my idea. It is already (albeit very subtly) embedded within the EYFS along with physical, cognitive, linguistic, social and emotional development: it's simply that i choose to emphasise it in my setting. It comes under "unique child". I think people steer away from it because they think it's to do with religion and that can be a scary thought if we're not religious ourselves. I want children to think before they stand on a spider because i feel that only when they can feel sorry for such a tiny defenceless creature can they begin to imagine how it feels when we hurt another human being. important things really do start very small don't they?
    Marleymoo-great idea.

I have noticed that my own DD (2yrs) is becoming so aware of other animals/humans feelings. She sobbed when she stepped on the remains of a snail while on a walk thinking she had killed it. I explained it was not her, gave her all hugs/kisses and she still says anytime she see's one 'I am not stepping on it mummy'. Wee angle at times hehe

Aug 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danasdaycare View Post
    Marleymoo-great idea.

I have noticed that my own DD (2yrs) is becoming so aware of other animals/humans feelings. She sobbed when she stepped on the remains of a snail while on a walk thinking she had killed it. I explained it was not her, gave her all hugs/kisses and she still says anytime she see's one 'I am not stepping on it mummy'. Wee angle at times hehe
    awww, i think it's important to get them to care so young. what a lovely little girl.
    one of the mindees stood on a snail once - deliberately - the sound of it still makes me feel sick now. I was so shocked because he and his family are devout christians (i'm not btw). Together, we (actually , he) said a little prayer and buried the mess.
    My son is almost 13 now and he wouldn't even harm a fly because he thinks it's unfair for their poor kids to lose out on their mum or dad, aaah.

Aug 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

ha ha ha, i think i owe some insects an apology. splatted a wasp so hard it split in half!
    but my woodlice at home live alongside us as mini pets. Maybe that'll balance my karma?
    ugh, that's awful.
    i don't like creatures living in my house but i wouldn't hurt one, i just put them back outside. your woodlice might just balance your karma - i won't tell if you don't lol

Aug 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=khlwomitchell;971656]what a lovely way to think of things. i am very bad at not really accepting my own kids feelings and emotions,

my husband was brought up with parents like this and he finds it extremely hard to put his feelings into words. He locks everything up inside himself and makes himself sick with worry. his family never say they love each other or give cuddles which is totally alien to me.

I know how my son and husband are feeling all the time - i am very in tune with them. not a thing gets past me, nada. i even know how my dog is feeling! hehe

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=marleymoo;972017]
    what a lovely way to think of things. i am very bad at not really accepting my own kids feelings and emotions,

my husband was brought up with parents like this and he finds it extremely hard to put his feelings into words. He locks everything up inside himself and makes himself sick with worry. his family never say they love each other or give cuddles which is totally alien to me.

I know how my son and husband are feeling all the time - i am very in tune with them. not a thing gets past me, nada. i even know how my dog is feeling! hehe
    i think i hear your dog now.... 'dinner'!!
    My mum has never hugged us since we got past kiddies but i'm very snuggly with the kids and we talk alot about apologising for physical hurts and rudeness but as they grow up i will make sure they understand hurting feeling too.
    You have a very healthy life there, i'll go whisper i love you to my kids now... x

Aug 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=khlwomitchell;972103]

You have a very healthy life there, i'll go whisper i love you to my kids now... x
    aaaw bless, yes you do that luv, x