Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: "Wow" moments

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 89
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Wow" moments

Just had a visit from the paperwork lady (job title escapes me atm) and she's happy with my obs, planning etc. She has suggested i use review sheets which i have started, and also to record "wow" moments. Not sure the best way to record these. Any advice please?

Penny1959 Guest

My 'wow' moments are wrote on pre cut card shapes (could use post its) and stuck with blu tac onto large piece of cardboard which is propped on mantle piece and has sign in middle saying 'Our Achievements. Then at end of week the wow moments are taken off and stuck in LJ's. Parents love the board and it is very visual. At end of day / week the board is put out of sight behind the sofa.

Penny

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My wow moments are pictures of stars printed onto paper... I write in the middle what the child has done and they decorate the sheets in their own special way

Sept 89
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. My other question is.....if it's a "Wow", shouldn't it be an observation? I do loads of obs, just wondering how big a "wow" should be relegated to a "wow" and which to have as an ob?

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KimW View Post
    Thanks guys. My other question is.....if it's a "Wow", shouldn't it be an observation? I do loads of obs, just wondering how big a "wow" should be relegated to a "wow" and which to have as an ob?
    In my opinion a wow is an observation - you are noting what you saw or heard - and can of course use them to help plan next steps.

I only do an observation if I need to find out something about a child - fior example if I had a concern about a particular area of development or a behaviour issue - so I could unpick in more detail.

My Wow's can be 6 - 10 words or a couple of sentences, together with photo's - including photos of art / craft - and the short narative that I put with the photo's that show development stages (rather than repeated activities / play) are all I think part of the observation part of the planning circle.

Hope that helps - I am sure others will have different views / methods. Take on board what everyone says - and then do whatever feels right to you - and more importantly gives you the information you need.

There is no point in doing anything wow moments, obs, photos etc if not used as part of the planning/ recording development for the child.

Penny

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

I printed out a star shape from student and office onto an A5 sheet I write the child's WOW moment in the star and give it to parent on collection or in the child's daily diary if parent doesn't pick up.

It could be something like...... B did their first wee on the potty..... D ate all their lunch etc.

Sept 89
    Post Thanks / Like

My obs all link to planning and next steps etc. Just wondering if the best approach carry on doing my obs as i am and use the "wows" as a kind of summary to highlight the ob?

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KimW View Post
    My obs all link to planning and next steps etc. Just wondering if the best approach carry on doing my obs as i am and use the "wows" as a kind of summary to highlight the ob?
    If what you are doing works for you - carry on doing it - there is no right or wrong way - and yes the wow moment could be used to highlight obs.

Only change if system not doing what you want it to do - or not giving the information needed.

Penny

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I put wow moments on post it notes and stick them in the childs LJ. Then I link it to the EYFS (if I can, sometimes there's no real link) and might incorporate it in to my planning if possible/ neccessary. Sometimes there is no next step to plan from, the wow moment is just what it is.

Sept 89
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks, that's given me a few ideas.